GPS to Autopliot Communications

daveg

Prior to installing the Dynon AP and latest software, my Garmin 296 and D-180 communicated nicely.  All HSI data showed up including CRS and TRK.  Recently, all I did was add the Dynon 5.0 S/W and roll axis AP.  Now the HSI says my CRS is always 360 degrees regardless of where my active GPS waypoint or my nose is faced.  Also, I do not get a NAV button in the AP menu.  I double checked my GPS S/W is the latest version.  My GPS output up to now had been "Aviation in/NMEA & VHF Out" but I also tried "NMEAIn /NEMA Out" and got the exact same results.

It is curious to me why CRS is locked on to 360.  Any hints on what I can do to get the correct NAV information?

Thanks,

Dave G.

Zenith 601XL

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Dave,

Have a quick look at this page: http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/GPS_Serial_Compatibility_and_Configuration_Settings

It covers why you're seeing 360 on the HSI. Essentially, the EFIS is not receiving the GPBOD or GPAPB sentences. This is most common when the X96 has its ADVANCED setting to FAST. If you set that output to NORMAL, everything should work.

daveg

DUH! Forgot about Garmin's sub-menu to the sub-menu.  I had set all this up a long time a go and it worked fine.  When I went to this Garmin menu again after the AP setup to make sure I had the right communications protocol, I must have done something that made the advanced communication default from "Normal" back to "Fast."

I fixed it and now all is well.  Thanks Dynon Support, your 100% success rating in straightening out my problems remains intact.

Thanks!

Dave G.