GTN-650 Integration To SkyView...help please?!?!?!

MaydayMayday

Hi All,

For those who are experienced with the GTN-650 and SV combo, can you PLEASE give me some advice?

Essentially...please provide any and all tips/tricks/ Gotchas/ I wish I knews... etc about all of the stuff that I am not smart enough to ask...any stuff that would be would be beneficial.

It is still all confusing...after the last flight this is what I remember...hopefully someone can fill in the missing pieces.

I setup the GTN for the enroute airways and the approach with a full procedure to navigate from the airway to the IAP and then to the FAF and to the runway...I thought that I had it figured out...until I started the engine...after that is all just a blur...

So when in flight and navigating with the GTN as the HSI source on the SV the map and the airway and approach fixes all seem to make sense ...I could see the airway fixes and the approach fixes however the SV MAP INFO function that displays DIST TO FINAL did not show the the distance to the runway (or MAP) however it showed something like 25 NM more than the actual distance to the airport so I presume that the SV looks at the last waypoint on the GTN generated list (in this case the holding fix) and it assumes that the last waypoint on the stack is the destination.

When SV is the HSI source the display will show VFPMR (forget the exact verbiage but it is the vertical feet per minute required to descend to the airport however when navigating with the HSI source selected to GTN that field just showed (---) so either it was simply not calculating the VFM to make the descent or it was looking at the very last waypoint in the stack and because that waypoint was so far away that the vertical descent rate was still less than 100 FPM so it just showed the (---).

Another thing that that was confusing was...when navigating with the SV system I can select the MAP INFO and I can select the destination airport and then send that comm info to the SV Radio and all of the fantastic features of the SV radio are available like the ATC/ ATIS/ TWR pushbuttons...however when the GTN was the HSI source I could not for the life of me find that INFO function on my second SV MAP display so I reverted to the old school method of looking at an e-paper chart on the foreflight and spinning the knobs to dial in the airport tower frequencies. Did I just misss it or does that function not show when the GTN is the HSI source?

What about VNAV??? So lets say you are 50 miles out and at 10000 MSL and you programed the GTN to fly the Victor airway to the last enroute fix (VOR) and then used that fix for the IAF and then you programmed the approach off from that fix to the MAP...where on the fancy screens (SV and GTN) can you see what the minimum altitude is for each of the segments that you are flying? Do you have to use the altitude selector and VSI down mode for every single stepdown (VSI to level off at the altitude selector...repeat) or will the combined system setup be smart enough so that you can set the altitude knob down to minimums and then the VNAV system will descend and respect each step down along the way?

When flying a vertical guidance approach, where should the altitude alerter knob be set...many systems when the approach is armed and a vertical path is captured the system will not honor the altitude alerter setting and it will continue down to the runway so most operators will set the altitude alerter to missed approach altitude.

Speaking of missed approach...lets say you get to minimums and press the GA (TOGA) button and the altitude alerter is set to missed approach altitude and there are a number of step up altitudes on the missed approach procedure...will VNAV honor each altitude constraint or do you have to select each constraint in the alerter knob until you pass it (VSI to level off at the altitude selector...repeat)?

If this was a Cirrus then I could just find a flight instructor who is experienced in the Cirrus and go flying...however I have a experimental airplane with a SV avionics and a GTN-650 that may...or may not...play well with the fancy EFIS screen.

What I should really do is video my F-Bomb infused flight so I can relive the moment and then post edit the audio and then show the video on this forum and ask the group...so in this instance what happened?!?!?

So any help would be appreciated.

THANKS so much!!!