GTN650 Flight Plan not Displayed on Map

mmarmol

Hello,
I just upgraded to SV10 and have been trying to get the GTN650 flight plan to show in the Skyview Screens via the ARINC429 module. It will load the data on the flight plan menu on the skyview and update as it gets updated on the GTN650. Unfortunately, even when I select "show flight plan" the magenta lines do not show up on the map. Is there any particular reason for this? I haev the GTN650 set up according to the recommended settings in the Skyview guide.

Have a good one,
~Miguel

thibault

Do both of you have a valid GPS solution on your GTN650 or G430W when this is happening?

When I first got V10.0 and tried what you did, I was in the hangar with no GPS solution and saw the same thing you see. Then pushed outside, got GPS lock on the G430W, and the map looked correct immediately.

lealaw

I have flown about 10 hours on SV10 and have tried many times in different places. Everything works except map display.

lealaw

thibault

I re-checked this again today by starting up all the avionics while in the hangar. The G430W takes a long time to get a position lock there, so there was plenty of time to put in a flight plan and go to the flight plan page of Skyview and just wait. The Skyview flight plan page loaded up and displayed the 430W flight plan immediately. The Skyview map page had no magenta line.

Sure enough, exactly when the 430W got a position (ten minutes after power up), the magenta line appeared on the Skyview map page.

I then selected all the various HSI sources on the PFD page and that made no difference. The magenta line displayed on the map as long as the 430W had a position lock and a flight plan.

SUPPORT. Is this the way it should work?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
All of that is how it supposed to work.

First, the HSI source and the flight plan source are independent. You can watch the 430's flight plan on the map while you track a VOR with the HSI. If we didn't do this, what would we show on the map when you had the HSI on VLOC?

If you want to change what is drawn on the map, you need to use the change flight plan source (or touch flight plan source on a touchscreen product). If you want to change the HSI source, you change the HSI source.

As for the flight plan legs drawn on the map not showing up until a lock exists, that is just the way the Garmin navigators work. The legs drawn on the map are not from the text flight plan- they are vectors sent to us by the navigator, telling us to draw lines and arcs. It's the full route the IFR navigator knows about. So the flight plan is sent via one data path, and is there without a GPS lock. The graphical view is sent via another path, and it isn't sent until the GPS has a lock and actually knows how to navigate.

One simple difference would be if you start in the middle of a flight plan. It doesn't know where you are until it has a lock, so it can't draw how to get to the first point until it has the lock.

The neat thing about this is the graphics on SkyView 100% represent what the GPS wants us to draw. It's not us taking the flight plan and re-interpreting it. This means all of those graphics come from a 100% certified solution in your GPS, which is really what you want, not your non-certified navigator guessing.

lealaw

OK
I have rechecked the problem having regard to the advice that has been given.
1. The Skyview is adjusted to take the flight plan from the G430
2. The flight plan is loaded on the G430 and activated.
3. It immediately displays the flight plan on the SV.
4. The G430 has 11 satellites , is in terminal mode and it displays the plan on its map.
5. It does not display on the SV map- after 10minutes or any other time.

Any ideas?
PS I am in Australia and presume that operating it upside down is not the problem.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That sounds like the 430 may not be configured to output the graphics. Check your ARINC config in the 430 and make sure it is "GAMA 429 Graphics with Int"