HD upgrade

J

Jrskygod

We're all waiting but it's probably not gonna happen.

cbennet12

Actually, it's looking highly likely. When I called to order my HDX800 the day they announced it available the salesman asked if I was sure I didn't want to wait and take advantage of the trade in program that was going to be available early 2017.

Obviously the salesman could have been mistaken or Dynon could change their strategy but.....

Craig

tomscub

Actually, it's looking highly likely.  When I called to order my HDX800 the day they announced it available the salesman asked if I was sure I didn't want to wait and take advantage of the trade in program that was going to be available early 2017.

Obviously the salesman could have been mistaken or Dynon could change their strategy but.....

Craig

Exactly what I am waiting for!  I plan to order the Autopilot controls also, but I am waiting for an HDX upgrade path from my Skyview Touch, so that I only open up my panel one time.  I used the upgrade program that was offered to move from the Skyview, to the Touch, and hope to do the same to move to the HDX.

So, We went to the Sebring FL Light Sport Expo on Friday.  I talked with the two Dynon Reps that were there about the status of the upgrade program.  They were totally unaware of any action on an upgrade path for us Dynon users.  Very disappointing.  Anyone else have better info??

Tom

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So here's the deal:

1) There's no program until there's a program.
2) There isn't currently a trade-in program.
3) We'd really like to be able to offer something here, and we're analyzing whether we can do something that makes sense for both Dynon and our existing SkyView customers.
4) The reason we try not to talk about programs like this before they're announced is because sometimes good ideas don't pan out as we work through the planning, etc....

Anyone that tells you anything contrary to the above hasn't heard it from our marketing director that designs and leads these sort of programs. If you were at Sebring and spoke to the shorter, balder guy, you were talking to that guy (me). So basically you were getting your info from the person that would know about any program first.

The other guy at the show - the taller one - is a software developer here, so he might have said something more along the lines of "We don't currently have a program, and I'm not sure if/when we will", which is basically the same as the above (and true).

If you were to hold off to "take advantage of the trade-in program that was going to be available early 2017", we might have gotten a touch over-enthusiastic here. Sometimes discussions get mistaken as decisions, and we communicate expectations that aren't really solidified. So apologies if we mislead you. We'll make sure people here have their story straight.

All that said, that DOESN'T mean we won't do something. It also doesn't mean we will (see 1-4 above). We really value the thousands of you that have chosen SykView over the years, and we try our hardest to meet your needs.

tomscub

Dynon, thanks, so much, for responding on this subject. I was one of the guy asking about the HDX upgrade at Sebring, but I was unsuccessful in finding the post to show you that indicated that an upgrade program was planned, and coming. I incorrectly thought that I had seen the post on the vans airforce forum, but finally found it on this Dynon site. I think that your response is very clear, and that you have not slammed the door, which many of us users appreciate. We will continue to monitor the Dynon site and be patient through your decision process. Hey, it never hurts to ask!!

Tom

spgreen@gmx.net

I love flying!
All seems rather confused. Check out this video from Sebring Jan 25-28 on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEYJR089wYA

.. at 6:06 Kirk from Dynon says "people are gonna like the fact that we will offer a trade-up option to hdx" ..

he also says there will be a matt version of the hdx , doesn't he ?

If that's all nonsense why broadcast it to the world on YouTube ?

KA4HRE

I love flying!
Trade-in programs are difficult to manage in the tech sector. This is why you don't see Apple offering trade-in programs for their iPhones, or Lenovo doing trade-ins on laptops. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is quite a challenge. The Dynon folks, IMHO, make a remarkably powerful product line for the cost-of-ownership AND they both support AND upgrade it (via software) for FREE. Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yeah, Kirk got ahead of himself there. Despite the title of the video, that interview was from the Deland show from the beginning of November 2016 when we were still kicking some ideas around that we haven't actually committed to doing (Kirk didn't go to Sebring this year).

So to clear things up: we've indeed considered offering a matte version, but there aren't any plans for one at the moment. A way to offer the matte finish may come in the form of a screen overlay kit - similar to what you can get for an iPad or your phone - that we're looking into.

spgreen@gmx.net

I love flying!
Ok, thanks for that. I have SkyView Touch 10". Love it. Personally I can't see much reason to upgrade from SVT to HDX without a trade-in program because the basic, truly useful functions of the systems are all derived from connectivity to the inputs and outputs (like ADHRS, A/P, EMS, GPS, ADSB, AOA etc) .. which are the same as before. Maybe not worth to spend the full amount again just for (highly reflective) hi-res screen and slightly different ergonomics and display. Just my opinion.

Raymo

I love aviation!
There are folks out there that would be happy to buy your Legacy SV screen to save $$$. Create your own upgrade program :D