HDX and GNC355 - no glidepath, SL30 - no CRS capability

killbilly

Problem 1 - I've got a GNC355 talking to my HDX via ARINC and it's working flawlessly. Guidance is correct, flight plan from the GNC populates in the Skyview and everything is working great. With one exception: When I load a known-good RNAV approach with LPV minimums, the HDX is not displaying the glide path at all. It's acting as if there was no vertical guidance and thus I'm having to treat it as the LNAV approach to an MDA.

Is there a setting I'm missing? I can't find anything relevant to this.

Problem 2 - I have an SL30 that is talking to the HDX via Serial mode. I've verified that the SL30 is not in Resolver mode, but rather in serial. And the GOOD NEWS is that the bearing pointer is operating correctly - if I tune a VOR, the HDX will display the selected NAV as a bearing pointer like an RMI. It is not, however, giving me control of the CRS knob or acting like a proper HSI when the SL30 is selected as a NAV source. CRS is grayed out entirely. I am wondering if it's a problem with the SL30 as well - one clue was that when I pressed the OBS button on the SL30, the display went to "FLAGGED" which makes me wonder if that part is broken, and thus it won't let me course-select on the HDX? That's only speculation on my part. Other than configuring the SL30 as recommended in the HDX setup/install guide, I don't know what else to try here.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Problem1: Make sure your settings match those in the 3rd party installation guide via https://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-documentation.php - it's now separated from the installation guide. If that doesn't help, get in touch with our support team for more help (contact info in sig)

Problem 2: Per the 3rd party installation guide (now separate from the installation guide), "
"Configure serial port on SL30 according to manufacturer's instructions. The Indicator Head Type should be set to NONE"

jessesaint

I don't know on the GNC355, but the other navigators have an option to Enable VNAV Labels. See if that is an option in the 355. If so, then toggle that to enable and it should fix your problem there.

killbilly

I had to back burner this Problem #1 issue for a while, but now it's top of mind and it's driving me nuts....

I know the wiring between the GNC355 and the HDX is good, because when flying an instrument procedure, all of the waypoints and sequencing are passing through to the HDX and I'm getting proper CDI guidance and everything. It's all fine.

Except for VNAV capability.

Flying an RNAV approach with LPV mins, I never get a glidepath display on the HDX and I don't know why. I do get the LPV annunciator on the GNC355, but no vertical guidance ever displays. I checked on the VNAV label question - Garmin support was dismissive, unhelpful and bordered on rude, by the way - but determined that there is no such setting in the 355 - it exists in older units.

Cannot figure out what I'm missing. It has to be configuration related, but I don't know what.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Our support team would be happy to work through this with you. There's probably a non-obvious setting that we need to flip. Get in touch with them via email or phone - contact info in our signature below...