HDX Instal - Rc Allen Elevator Trim - Dyon display

Tackdog

I love flying!
Hopefully this will be the last question I need to ask on behalf of the workshop installing the HDX into my RV7!

Previously I had the Rc Allen electric elevator trim (push buttons on the control column) with the indicator outputs displaying on the traditional Rc Allen LED trim display.

Naturally, he has removed the LED trim display in hope to have the widget on the HDX take care of this. He has referred to the manual in Chap 7 - page 66, however just called advising he thinks this refers to the dynon autopilot servos?

Is he missing something (no I'm not talking in the 3rd person to hide my confusion  ;D  )

Cheers guys!

jakej

1. He needs to use the latest version of the manual - makes it easier for 'help' when referring to page numbers.  Using rev Y it's page 7-58.
2. Unless you're using the SV-a/pilot panel (which you're not as you have TT servos) then connect as per page above.
3. For a 'workshop' this is basic Install work - Maybe change the workshop instead ?  ;)
I know the last comment may seem a bit harsh but it could cost more than you expect while they are learning at your expense ?

Tackdog

I love flying!
He's using the latest from the web site: Document 101320-027, Revision AB, March, 2017, which refers to page 7-66
"Trim and Flaps Position Potentiometers".

Position potentiometers may be connected to any general purpose input pin on the SV-EMS-
220/221’s D37 and must be calibrated according to the instructions found in the EMS Sensor
Calibration Section. The number of position potentiometers in any installation is limited by the
number of unused general purpose input pins on the SV-EMS-220/221’s D37 connector. The
tables in the Example Engine Sensor and Transducer Installations Section contain
recommended input pins for position potentiometers.
Dynon Avionics does not sell trim or flaps position sensors. These are normally included with, or
added onto, their respective servos.
Most flap and trim sensors are potentiometers (variable resistors) which require power and
ground inputs, and supply an output that is a function of position. These potentiometers come
in a variety of resistance ranges, but are typically 1 k[ch8486], 5 k[ch8486], 10 k[ch8486], and 20 k[ch8486]. All of these
values will work properly with the SV-EMS-22, as there is a calibration required. Connect Pin 18
(+5 Volts Auxiliary) from the SV-EMS-220/221 to the +5 Volts input on your trim/flap position
sensor. Connect the ground input on the sensor to a ground common to the SV-EMS-220/221’s
signal ground. Connect the output of the sensor to the desired general purpose input. For
physical installation, refer to the instructions that came with your position sensor.
If you are using the output from a Ray Allen servo or sensor, connect per the chart below.

Oh and fully understand your last comment.

Cheers

jakej

Ok, great - he has the latest rev :cool:.

So my last sentence is even more relevant especially as this line (as quoted from the manual) says it all
"If you are using the output from a Ray Allen servo or sensor, connect per the chart below".

If it was me I'd be really worried about their ability to do your job cost effectively.

I trust it will all work out well for you. :) :)

Tackdog

I love flying!
All is good. I think he missed the last sentence in the manual.... thanks Jake and I do hope it works out :-/