Heading adjustment

echo_sierra

Hello,

I have a "problem" with my headings... I set it on the ground to match runway heading using magadj function and then take off. After +/-10mn of flight it is +/-20° out so I re-adjust it and then, +/-10mn of flight after it is again way off!!!...
I know the part of installing it away from electric lines and metal... but it is during the flight that it happens!!!
Please help...

Regards

meljordan

You need to read the installation manual. There is a "Compass Heading Calibration" that needs to be done. This is not a directional gyro and the adjustment you are making is not intended to "set the heading" as you would with a DG. I suggest that you read both the installation manual and the Pilot guide for your instrument. All the manuals are available at this url; http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_documentation.html

Regards,
Mel Jordan

echo_sierra

thanx for the answer
I went 2 or 3 times threw the calibration process when i mounted it. It worked fine for +/- 6 months and now acts as describe above.
Should i recalibrate it again???...

Regards

meljordan

I would certainly try re-calibrating the unit, but a couple of questions first. What unit is it? If it is a EFIS D10 or D10A, do you have an EDC connected? Are you running the latest version of the firmware? Did this suddenly start to happen? Have you recently installed any new equipment in the plane? You should not be using the magadj to set the unit, it is only to correct for a small misalignment that is consistent throughout the full swing of the compass. With some additional info it will be possible to track down what is happening. Of course, there is never any harm is re-doing the calibration process.

Regards,
Mel

echo_sierra

It is a D-180 with the remote compass. I am running the latest software version. It started 2 weeks ago and i didn't install anything in the aircraft at this time. Hope it will hemp because i am getting lost with this thing!!!

Regards

meljordan

I would really try a re-calibration as my first step. Since it is a D180, it would tell you if it was not communicating with the EDC module. If you do a re-cal (make sure your mag inclination and intensity are loaded correctly) and it still doesn't align with the runway, then I would get in touch with Dynon tech support and see if they have any ideas. But you should do a re-calibration as your first step.

Good Luck,
Mel

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Another thing to consider - if you adjusted the heading at a location which has some magnetic interference from metal in the ground or other geological feature (these are even charted in extreme cases), you could end up with a magnetic heading which you've adjusted to look right on the ground, but behaves incorrectly in the air.