Heated AOA

Jeff1

RV8A is in annual and all tore up with panels off. Have wanted AOA info for some time. Soliciting opinions on post installation satisfaction and ease of installation.
I currently have a heated pitot. Is is just a manner of adding one additional wire to a pin on the back of the Dynon Classic?

Carl_Froehlich

A ~#22 wire that tells the EMS PITOT heat status. Add a Widget to your EMS page for pitot heat. You will need to mount the pitot heat controller to a rib near your pitot. You also need another 1/4” tubing run to connect the pitot AOA outlet to your ADHARS module(s).

If you have a standard pitot mast, the Dynon pitot should fit. You will need to drill and tap the four pitot mast to pitot screws - but simple to do.

Carl

GalinHdz

Do you have the DYNON heated pitot? It must be plumbed into the AOA port of the ADAHRS just like the Pitot and Static ports are. You don't need the heater wired up to have AOA indication but you MUST connect the Pitot AOA to the ADAHRS AOA port.

I have had mine with AOA for 10yrs and love it.

Rhino

Out of curiosity, you say you have a heated pitot, but are you sure it's the AOA capable pitot? Dynon didn't always sell just AOA capable pitot tubes. At first they didn't have AOA capability at all. And since you haven't specified the age of your aircraft, it's possible yours isn't AOA capable. It probably is, but the possibility is worth investigating. Either way though, yes, this would be the best time to address the issue.

Jeff1

Thanks for the replies. I currently have a Dynon heated pitot. There are two 1/4” tubing runs from the pitot along with electric wires running in a bundle through the wing and entering the aircraft under floor mid ship and then fwd to the instrument panel.
I bought the mostly finished aircraft two years ago from an estate. It was built in 2016.
I don’t know how I would run another 1/4” pitot line, since I can’t access the under floor area without lots of effort in dissembling of the cockpit area.. .ideas?

Carl_Froehlich

The pitot only has two 1/4” lines, one for pitot and one for AOA. Perhaps they are already plumbed to your ADHARS module(s).

Carl

Jeff1

Lessons learned today. Called Dynon tech and discovered that they only sale AOA pitot heaters. After locating the heater module on the wing spar, I looked closely at the pitot tube and it does have two holes, one centered and another underneath. There are two plastic 1/4” lines, one blue and another green coming off the pitot tube and running thru the wing and entering the fuselage mid ship and underneath the seats, which in inaccessible.
From previous helpful post on this thread, they should be running into an AHRS unit and then to the Dynon display.
I was upside down on my head today underneath the dash on a RV8A looking for the two plastic tubes. Can’t find them anywhere after they enter the fuselage from the wing. Wasn’t easy getting myself upright either at 70 yo:)
From the back of the Dynon Classic I have one large pin connector, two small pin connectors, and a single “ phone”type connection.
Since I am getting airspeed info now, at least the pitot part is connected and functioning. The builder is deceased, so it looks like it was installed, but I can’t tell if the AOA part was also hooked up.
There isn’t any indication in the Dynon display for AOA. Can anyone tell me how to check if it is in fact installed or how to check for that?

Jeff1

Lessons learned today. Called Dynon tech and discovered that they only sale AOA pitot heaters. After locating the heater module on the wing spar, I looked closely at the pitot tube and it does have two holes, one centered and another underneath. There are two plastic 1/4” lines, one blue and another green coming off the pitot tube and running thru the wing and entering the fuselage mid ship and underneath the seats, which in inaccessible.
From previous helpful post on this thread, they should be running into an AHRS unit and then to the Dynon display.
I was upside down on my head today underneath the dash on a RV8A looking for the two plastic tubes. Can’t find them anywhere after they enter the fuselage from the wing. Wasn’t easy getting myself upright either at 70 yo:)
From the back of the Dynon Classic I have one large pin connector, two small pin connectors, and a single “ phone”type connection.
Since I am getting airspeed info now, at least the pitot part is connected and functioning. The builder is deceased, so it looks like it was installed, but I can’t tell if the AOA part was also hooked up.
There isn’t any indication in the Dynon display for AOA. Can anyone tell me how to check if it is in fact installed or how to check for that?
It looks like I do in fact a Dynon heated AOA pitot after all, which saves me $450, plus install. Now if I can just figure out how to read the AOA on the display

swatson999

First thing to do, it seems to me, is to familiarize yourself with the system architecture, the wiring harnesses, the pitot/static/AOA system, etc. You should download all the installation and user manuals from Dynon and read over them. You'll save yourself a lot of time by doing this. E.g., the pitot/AOA system installation (and how it operates) is described here https://www.dynonavionics.com/product-accessories-documentation.php.

GalinHdz

The 1/4" AOA line connects to the AHRS not to the display.

If your AOA is already connected to the AHRS then make sure the PFD has the AOA turned ON. This is covered in the SkyView Installation Manual, Pg 3-14. FWIW, I have my AOA display turned OFF but the AOA audio alarm turned ON (SkyView Installation Manual, Pg 4-35). This declutters the PFD and I use the audio cues when I need AOA information. YMMV

Last edited: