Heated Pitot - Boom Style

andrewblanejr

I've got a 2011 CTLS with dual skyview and dual pitot tubes and ADAHARS. The tubes are the boom style. What pathways exist for getting to heated pitot tubes? Looks like Dynon does not make/sell a boom mount heated pitot. Can I use a heated pitot boom mount from another manufacturer? Will I lose AOA?

Raymo

I love aviation!
Lots of people have implemented AOA without the Dynon AOA tube using a hollow pop rivet and some appropriate sized tubing from the back of the rivet to the AD-AHRS.

Last edited:

andrewblanejr

Soooo which heated pitot tube should I use? is there a defacto favorite for the boom mount style heated pitot?

jnmeade

Flight Design USA sells a heated boom pitot tube that fits where the old one was. I bought one last year. I can get the part number for you later if you need it. You run 16 AWG wire to them not for the current but for the voltage drop. If I remember right, the tubing is 4mm. I don't remember if it came or if tubing was extra. Call FD USA and talk to Arian Foldan. I ran the wires up the same raceway as the tubing. I think it takes a 7.5 amp CB. I wired a light in so I'd always know when it was on as I didn't want to burn it out from ignorance.

Per Dahlstrom

Thanks kindly for the helpful information. It only takes one frozen out pitot incident to know how important this upgrade is!