Help or advice needed. Faulty altimeter?

Pitufo

I have been using my D100 for more than 500 hrs without problems of any kind.
I decided to go for the AOA pitot.
I installed and calibrated it by the manual and everything was OK.
Suddenly, after some 5 or 6 flight hours, the altimeter started to indicate a descent, when I was flying leveled, and kept indicating a descent until it reached -1,200 ft where it stayed.

Since that day, the problem comes and goes.

Sometimes after a while flying (with the altimeter indicating a -1,200 ft altitude), the altimeter starts indicating a 2,000+ fpm climb until it reaches my actual altitude and starts indicating a correct altitude.

The correct reading lasts sometimes a few minutes, sometimes it lasts for the rest of the flight.

I tried reloading the latest firmware into my system (I have a D100, an AP74 and two servos), but the problem is still there.

I enclose a picture, where the EFIS altimeter indicates -1,200 ft and also a log of a flight I made last August, where you can see that, at the beginning of it, the altimeter was working right and then, without a warning, it started indicating a descent until it reached -1,200 ft and remaining there for the rest of the flight.

Since the problem appeared a while after I installed the AOA pitot, I disconnected the line coming from the AOA intake and left connected only the pitot and the static, but the problem is the same.

Please help me, is it a software bug?
Will I have to send the unit for repair?

I will appreciate whatever advice you might give me.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20140909_165306.jpg
    20140909_165306.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 124
  • EFIS-D100_sn2794_20140908_datalog_for_Dynon.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 153

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
When the unit is indicating -1200 feet on the ground, try disconnecting the STATIC line. If that immediately correct the problem, there's a problem with your STATIC system. If there's absolutely no change - the unit remains indicating -1200 feet, then likely the STATIC sensor has failed and the unit needs to be repaired. Our Tech Support department can provide more guidance for troubleshooting - 425-402-0433 or support@dynonavionics.com

I have been using my D100 for more than 500 hrs without problems of any kind.
I decided to go for the AOA pitot.
I installed and calibrated it by the manual and everything was OK.
Suddenly, after some 5 or 6 flight hours, the altimeter started to indicate a descent, when I was flying leveled, and kept indicating a descent until it reached -1,200 ft where it stayed.

Since that day, the problem comes and goes.

Sometimes after a while flying (with the altimeter indicating a -1,200 ft altitude), the altimeter starts indicating a 2,000+ fpm climb until it reaches my actual altitude and starts indicating a correct altitude.

The correct reading lasts sometimes a few minutes, sometimes it lasts for the rest of the flight.

I tried reloading the latest firmware into my system (I have a D100, an AP74 and two servos), but the problem is still there.

I enclose a picture, where the EFIS altimeter indicates -1,200 ft and also a log of a flight I made last August, where you can see that, at the beginning of it, the altimeter was working right and then, without a warning, it started indicating a descent until it reached -1,200 ft and remaining there for the rest of the flight.

Since the problem appeared a while after I installed the AOA pitot, I disconnected the line coming from the AOA intake and left connected only the pitot and the static, but the problem is the same.

Please help me, is it a software bug?
Will I have to send the unit for repair?

I will appreciate whatever advice you might give me.
Thanks in advance.