How to know if AP74 is working ok without fly

sibinelli

Helo Dynon suport,

my system uses the flight DEK-D180 , HS34, AP74 and GPS garmin 296,

there is any test that I can do to know if the auto pilot is working ok, without fly?

Another question, the GPS should appear on the DSAB network status?(if not, how can i know that it's ok?)

All network is set to rate of 9600, gps is on aviation in/ NMEA & VHF Out, and Advanced opitions are set to Normal

Thinks, and sorry about english

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
When you configure the AP (per the installation manual), it forces you to perform a servo test that allows it to move the controls to verify it can move them. You can repeat the test any time in the SETUP>AP menu. You can also engage the AP on the ground to confirm that it can grab the control surfaces.

GPS is not a DSAB device, and so it is not shown in the DSAB status. If you select GPS as your nav source via the HS34's NAV SRC button, and you have an ACTUAL GPS lock as well as a waypoint programmed into the GPS - the D180's HSI page will provide information and guidance to the waypoint.

sibinelli

ok, but what exactly I need to do to test the AP on the ground?

Which specific parameters of flight I will have to simulate?

Assuming that my AP74 is broken or something, I will still be able to engage the AP on the HDG mode by the efis menu?

there is any more specific test that I can do to know if the AP74 or even the D180 AP function is working ok?

Thinks again

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Let's put it this way. If you're on the ground, with a valid GPS signal + a waypoint programmed into your GPS, even at zero airspeed, you can engage the AP and all its modes as described in the Pilots User Guide. The servos will move the servos to some position that you should not pay too much attention to, but if it grabs them at all, and the AP74 lights up with the active modes, you can determine whether everything is working. In this scenario, the AP will simply try to "fly" the airplane even though you're on the ground. So if you can basically engage all of the modes and control the AP via the AP74, switch modes, etc, your AP is operational.

If you lose the AP74, you can still control the AP via the EFIS menu as described in the manual (this is actually the case even when the AP74 is working)

Of course, determining whether or not the AP's settings are well-tuned to your aircraft requires going flying and some experimentation. There are a set of procedures in the install guide for going through that. Make sure you've read ALL of the information regarding the AP in both the user and installation manual before you venture out to try to use the AP in flight.

If the above explanation isn't making sense, give us a call at 425-402-0433