HS34 Connection to KLN-90B GPS and Tru-Trak AP

ksouthar

Successfully completed using the ARINC ouput from the KLN-90B. If anyone needs pin-outs, just let me know.

Keith

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Info added to http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/GPS_Serial_Compatibility_and_Configuration_Settings. Anyone know about the serial side compatibility?

GaryRay

I just installed my Dynon Auto pilot through the HS-34 module's ARINC
port. I have it connected to the ARINC port on a KLN-90B GPS. It was not communicating
until I set the COM speed to SLOW.
Now it works. The Auto pilot is now offering both Heading and Tracking
modes of operation. Will test it in the air soon.

realfstkid

I love flying!
Guys, I have a few questions about using the KLN 90B with the D180. When you hook it up, is there still a need for the annunciator panel, or does the Dynon have a way of annunciating the MSG and WPT on the screen?

I know that the KLN900 does that in the airplane I currently fly, and therefore we don't have a separate annunciator panel.

Gary Ray, is your autopilot run through the Dynon, or do you have a separate TruTrak or something?

Thanks guys,

Christian

realfstkid

I love flying!
Thanks for the info. So I still need an annunciator panel of some sort. I'm assuming that it get's all other available information from the GPS that is available via ARINC though? Is the information that it can receive from ARINC the same as if this was a GX60 or GNS 430?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You only need an annuciator if the GPS is more than X inches off the center of the pilot's scan. I seem to remember the edge of the 430W being 14 inches away or less if I remember right. Is this your situation?

realfstkid

I love flying!
Oh, that's really good to know. The GPS will be in the center stack of a Lancair, which should only be about 10" from the center of the Pilot's Scan.

jakej

FYI - there are specifications re 'field of view' for this situation, the specs are now included in most installation manuals for Tso'd equipment or you could contact your local avionics shop for details.

HTH

Jake J

realfstkid

I love flying!
Does anyone know if the HS34 is able to provide Air Data 429 Outputs? The KLN-90B has inputs for this, and can read such things as true airspeed, altitude, outside temperature, and baro corrected altitude. Note this is in addition to the ARINC 429 rev a/b and transmit a/b.

The table in the installation manual shows this:

TABLE 3-3 Air Data 429 Receiver Inputs

LABEL(OCTAL) DESCRIPTION
203 ALTITUDE (1013.25 MB)
204 BARO CORRECTED ALTITUDE
205 MACH
210 TRUE AIRSPEED
211 TOTAL AIR TEMPERATURE
213 STATIC AIR TEMPERATURE

Thanks

Christian

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
See http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Generic_ARINC-429_Wiring for a list of labels the HS34 transmits.

realfstkid

I love flying!
Excellent,

Does anyone know if the KLN 90B received True Airspeed, altitude, and air temperature, as it seems that this is normally received from the "Air Data Receiver Inputs", which are different than the "EFIS" inputs.

Christian

realfstkid

I love flying!
Alright, so I have the KLN-90B hooked up and working with the D-180. It seems that the EFIS receive and transmit lines are working properly. In the installation guide for the KLN-90B, the manual talks about 2 separate ARINC-429 inputs (2 sets of twisted pair). These are "EFIS-429 receiver input" and "Air Data 429 Receiver Input".

I have wired my GPS so that the Dynon's 429 Transmit Pins (13/25) are connected to both (spliced) the KLN-90B's "EFIS" and "Air Data" Pins. i.e. Dynon 13 (ARINC 429 TX B) is connected to both KING 4 (EFIS RX B) and 8 (AIR DATA RX B), and Dynon 25 to KING 5 and 9.

For some reason, this configuration worked flawlessly for about 3 minutes, during a ground run. I could actually change the altimeter setting on the Dynon, and see it change on the GPS. But then the next day, the GPS began throwing "AIR DATA 429 FAIL" and "ALTITUDE FAIL" messages.

So I know that hooking up the ARING 429 TX pins from the Dynon to the AIR DATA 429 RX pins on the GPS works, but perhaps it's not smart to do it via the same pins that are connected to the "EFIS 429 RX" pins on the GPS. Are the 2 separate sets of ARINC 429 TX pins on the Dynon (13/25 and 12/24) independent? I'm thinking another possible solution, since I am not currently using the other transmit pins, would be to wire those up to the Air Data RX pins on the GPS, so they are separate lines.

Any other ideas? Like I said, the GPS receives OBS information from the Dynon, but it's not receiving any of the "Air Data" inputs.

ksouthar

Would love to see your Pin Out. You have taken advantage of a couple things I haven't.

Kln90b
Trutrak AP
Dynon D10a
HS 34
FS450

All working nicely together

N355RV

realfstkid

I love flying!
Would love to see your Pin Out. You have taken advantage of a couple things I haven't.

Here is the diagram that I drew out and followed in the installation. Does your GPS always have the "MSG" indicator flashing? I know that if you don't have an Air Data input, you can wire pins 8/9 to 23/24 on the GPS and that will tell it that you don't have an Air Data input, but the Dynon outputs information that can be read on the Air Data input.

I just got an MD41-324 annunciator, so that will be installed later this week. Any help on the AD inputs would be awesome.

Attachments

• Wiring_Diagram.pdf
    152.4 KB · Views: 164

ksouthar

Thanks!

I solved the air data issue long ago with the Jumper. Installed the 2nd Dynon D10A and the HS34 much later (same time as the MD-41. It acts as the HSI) so I may need to revisit the Air Data input. With the MD-41 installed, the message light acknowledgement is controlled by pushing the 'course' knob in. My set up works great - KLN-90B, Trutrak Digiflight II, Fuelscan 450, MD-41, HS34/D10A

Keith
N355RV

realfstkid

I love flying!
With the MD-41 installed, the message light acknowledgement is controlled by pushing the 'course' knob in.

What 'course' knob? On the HS-34? If I push that, it doesn't appear to do anything. How did you wire up the MD41? I am only wiring the pins on the J1 connector, nothing on the J2, since I don't need HSI switching. I can't seem to get rid of the flashing "MSG" on the front of the GPS. Does your GPS throw the "Altitude Fail" Message? Or does that silence because you used the jumper as well?

ksouthar

I'll dig out the wiring diagram and post it. Traveling for the next few days however.

No flashing messages except ones that are not acknowledged.. Once the annunciation panel or the GPS flashes 'MSG' you still have to push the 'MSG' key on the GPS to display the message. The MSG light will stay on solid until you push the MSG key again on the GPS or push the Course knob (on the HS34) in and hold it for two or three seconds. Once you release it the MSG indicator will go out. The Course knob is the furthest on the left in the horizontal model.

Keith

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
<snip>
Are the 2 separate sets of ARINC 429 TX pins on the Dynon (13/25 and 12/24) independent?
<snip>
Pins 12 and 13 are the same signal (ARINC 429 TX B)
Pins 24 and 25 are the same signal (ARINC 429 TX A)

We did this for ease of wiring for two different ARINC 429 devices to receive data from the HS34.

realfstkid

I love flying!
Pins 12 and 13 are the same signal (ARINC 429 TX B)
Pins 24 and 25 are the same signal (ARINC 429 TX A)

Ok, so nothing new would be achieved by wiring up 12 and 24 to the AIR DATA inputs, since they are currently spliced into 13 and 25?