HS34 wiring

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Whoops, meant to say the ARINC doesn't go to the EFIS at all. So it doesn't get moved from the EFIS to the HS34.

Ernie_Billing

Re: HS34 wiring - KX125

Unfortunately, as one of the lower cost Bendix/King radios, the KX-125 doesn't have a VOR/LOC converter built-in, so this won't work directly with the HS34. You'll need to purchase and install an external converter in order to use it with the HS34 (just like you would with most HSI's).

The KX125 data sheet at http://www.seaerospace.com/king/kx125.htm indicates a VOR/LOC signal converter and the pinout document at http://www.aeroelectric.com/Installation_Data/KX125a.pdf shows:

Pin 13: -NAV FLAG
Pin 18: +FROM
Pin X: +LEFT
Pin 14: +NAV FLAG
Pin W: +RIGHT
Pin 17: +TO

Wouldn't these connect to HS34 pins:
Pin 16: LOC -
Pin 15: VOR + when From flag shown
Pin 14: CDI + when Left
Pin 3: LOC +
Pin 1: CDI + when deflected right
Pin 2: VOR + when TO flag shown

I know you guys are extremely busy getting the HS34 out the door and its a module that I highly applaud. I don't really need the glide slope or resolver functions (I'll use the OBS on the KX-125) so if these connections work to get me bearing to the VOR, I'll be happy. It'll prevent me from spending another $1000 for an SL-30. But if I'm totally off base here (I'm probably in need of some very serious education in this realm,) please set me straight.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What won't work is the OBS. That radio outputs the signal as a"composite" signal. The pins we're looking for are usually labeled A,B,C,D,E,F, which is a standard resolver connection.

While you could hook up just the CDI and flags, remember that an HSI needs the course set properly or the course overlay on the DG looks totally wrong. So you'd need to always keep the KX-125 and the HS34 OBS in sync with one another or the HSI on the EFIS will be lying to you.

You'll never get bearing pointers with an analog radio, since it just doesn't put that out anywhere. With an analog radio, all we can give you is the CDI, GS, flags, and set the OBS on the radio.

rhole

Marker beacon indicator wiring: OK, EFIS will accept active high from my PS6000 audio panel. Just wanting to be sure the 7-11 volt high signal is within acceptable range.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Should work fine: see http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Generic_Analog_Wiring. (.7-12V is generically the range that is considered "high")

DBRV10

"" Audio out: This is a full voice audio output. It should look a lot like a normal radio output signal, so just run it into an aux channel on your intercom / audio panel. In the future we hope to support software volume control, but at the first release, we suggest a potentiometer in-line to adjust the volume. ""

I just read this and wondered...... is there any software driven volume control yet for the HS34, I notice this was commented on in 2007.

Thanks

DB :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The HS34 audio out (and the AP74) are fixed volume. We still recommend an external resistor or a audio panel with variable gain.