HSI ILS Question

KTMridr

I recently just purchased a plane with dual HDXs and an IFD540. I recently started IFR training and when I was practicing an ILS approach the other day (for the first time behind the HDX,) the IFD did not auto-populate the course into the HSI CRS window. My CFII and I did not catch this and the approach was awful and had to be abandoned. My CFII is used to flying behind a G1000 that apparently auto-populates the ILS course into the HSI.

When flying the plane today, near the airport with the ILS, I decided to put the same ILS frequency into the IFD and sure enough, there wasn't any course in the HSI CRS window. I had to manually dial in the course into the CRS window using the left knob. I found another recent thread that talked about this issue with an SL30. After reading that thread, it sounded like the ILS course should be auto-populated into the CRS window with an IFR navigator like the IFD. Should the IFD auto-populate the course into the CRS window? If not, it is not a big deal but I would like to know if my equipment is performing appropriately and the IFD is setup correctly in the HDX system. Thanks!

kurtfly

I love flying!
Check your ARINC settings in Skyview and on the IFD.
See section 12-5 in the install manual.
Also see "Third-Party Device Connection and Configuration - Reference Guide, Rev B" in the download section. It has all the settings required. Page 14 has the IFD settings.

ALLOW AUTO SWITCH: YES (LABEL 100P)/NO. If set to YES (LABEL 100P), SkyView will
automatically change whether data from INPUT1 or INPUT2 will be displayed.
• If the source transmits the “100P” label (such as Garmin 430/530/GTN series), SkyView
will automatically switch inputs per the label. This allows the inputs to be remotely
switched by data from the source, either when the CDI is changed, or automatic
transition on approach.
• If data is being transmitted to INPUT1, but no data is being transmitted to INPUT2,
INPUT1 will be displayed.
• If data is being transmitted to INPUT2, but no data is being transmitted to INPUT1,
INPUT2 will be displayed.
TIE FLIGHT PLAN SRC TO HSI NAV SRC: YES/NO. When set to YES, if the HSI or Flight Plan source
is changed, the other will follow automatically. When set to NO, the HSI can show navigation
guidance that is different from that shown on the Map display.
NOTE: For all settings listed above, your ARINC-429 capable GPS and/or NAV will need to be
configured similarly.

Kurt

KTMridr

Check your ARINC settings in Skyview and on the IFD.
See section 12-5 in the install manual.
Also see "Third-Party Device Connection and Configuration - Reference Guide, Rev B" in the download section. It has all the settings required. Page 14 has the IFD settings.

ALLOW AUTO SWITCH: YES (LABEL 100P)/NO. If set to YES (LABEL 100P), SkyView will
automatically change whether data from INPUT1 or INPUT2 will be displayed.
• If the source transmits the “100P” label (such as Garmin 430/530/GTN series), SkyView
will automatically switch inputs per the label. This allows the inputs to be remotely
switched by data from the source, either when the CDI is changed, or automatic
transition on approach.
• If data is being transmitted to INPUT1, but no data is being transmitted to INPUT2,
INPUT1 will be displayed.
• If data is being transmitted to INPUT2, but no data is being transmitted to INPUT1,
INPUT2 will be displayed.
TIE FLIGHT PLAN SRC TO HSI NAV SRC: YES/NO. When set to YES, if the HSI or Flight Plan source
is changed, the other will follow automatically. When set to NO, the HSI can show navigation
NOTE: For all settings listed above, your ARINC-429 capable GPS and/or NAV will need to be
configured similarly.

Kurt

Thank you for the help Kurt.

I spent a few minutes in the plane on the ground this afternoon and I can confirm that the "Allow Auto Switch" was set to NO, so I changed that to YES. The other setting that was different was "Tie Flight Plan SRC to HSI Nav SRC" was set to NO so I also changed that to YES.

I also looked at the "Third-Party Device Connection and Configuration - Reference Guide, Rev B" document you mentioned, specifically for the Avidyne IFD settings. All of the settings were set according to the Reference Guide except for the "MAIN RS232 CONFIG" page. Below is how the Device Connection and Configuration - Reference Guide specifies these settings but all of my Input and Output settings were turned to "Off." I am not sure if these should be changed or if them being "off" will affect the HSI question I mentioned.

From the "MAIN RS232 CONFIG" page: • CHNL # (Setting for Avidyne COM Radio): ▪ Input: VhfCtrl ▪ Output: VhfCtrl • CHNL # (Setting for SV-ARINC-429 RS-232 Input): ▪ Input: Off (may be used for other devices) ▪ Output: Aviation # = physically connected port number.

I will try and take the plane up in the next few days to see if the changes I made solved the problem. If the changes need to be made in the Avidyne, I can try that as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:

swatson999

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this to be a horrible option with the potential for some serious loss of situational awareness. IMO, the HSI should always reflect the course shown on the map...you know, the map that's right next to the PFD, on the same screen? Doing otherwise seems like a recipe for confusion.

swatson999

Thank you for the help Kurt.

I spent a few minutes in the plane on the ground this afternoon and I can confirm that the "Allow Auto Switch" was set to NO, so I changed that to YES. The other setting that was different was "Tie Flight Plan SRC to HSI Nav SRC" was set to NO so I also changed that to YES.

I also looked at the "Third-Party Device Connection and Configuration - Reference Guide, Rev B" document you mentioned, specifically for the Avidyne IFD settings. All of the settings were set according to the Reference Guide except for the "MAIN RS232 CONFIG" page. Below is how the Device Connection and Configuration - Reference Guide specifies these settings but all of my Input and Output settings were turned to "Off." I am not sure if these should be changed or if them being "off" will affect the HSI question I mentioned.

From the "MAIN RS232 CONFIG" page: • CHNL # (Setting for Avidyne COM Radio): ▪ Input: VhfCtrl ▪ Output: VhfCtrl • CHNL # (Setting for SV-ARINC-429 RS-232 Input): ▪ Input: Off (may be used for other devices) ▪ Output: Aviation # = physically connected port number.

I will try and take the plane up in the next few days to see if the changes I made solved the problem. If the changes need to be made in the Avidyne, I can try that as well.

Thanks!
While you're in there, you should really read through both the installation manual and the user's guide thoroughly. You really need to understand these systems, especially if you're planning IFR work, BEFORE using them.

KTMridr

While you're in there, you should really read through both the installation manual and the user's guide thoroughly. You really need to understand these systems, especially if you're planning IFR work, BEFORE using them.
Agreed!

kurtfly

I love flying!
This is so skyview can set comm frequencies. This is optional and most likely not wired.

Kurt

tylerpattison

0x44 0x59 0x4e 0x4f 0x4e
Staff member
...I decided to put the same ILS frequency into the IFD and sure enough, there wasn't any course in the HSI CRS window....
There are several ways to get the IFD to tune to an ILS frequency. The most common two ways are:
  1. Manually tune in a discrete frequency to the NAV receiver using the MHz and kHz knob.
  2. Load an ILS approach using the procedures menu for an airport.
Only method #2 will allow the IFD to send course info over the ARINC protocol. As far as I know, if you want the system to automatically set the inbound course you must use method #2.

If you use method #1 the Avidyne only knows a frequency. It is unaware which ILS approach course you are attempting to track. Therefore, it will not provide any approach course information to SkyView.

KTMridr

There are several ways to get the IFD to tune to an ILS frequency. The most common two ways are:
  1. Manually tune in a discrete frequency to the NAV receiver using the MHz and kHz knob.
  2. Load an ILS approach using the procedures menu for an airport.
Only method #2 will allow the IFD to send course info over the ARINC protocol. As far as I know, if you want the system to automatically set the inbound course you must use method #2.

If you use method #1 the Avidyne only knows a frequency. It is unaware which ILS approach course you are attempting to track. Therefore, it will not provide any approach course information to SkyView.
Thank you for this information. We are expecting some nice weather tomorrow so I'll give it a try and report back.