HSI Test Flight

DougR

All,

I have been crabbing at you Dynon folks for several years to build an HSI. (Doug Medema can verify this)  Finally you did it and I was peeved that, except for the SL-30, it only worked with the GPS output.   I thought it was a step in the right direction but frankly I was not too excited about it.  

I put the new firmware on my thumb drive but just never seemed to have time to get the RS-232 line hooked up to the D-100.  Well with the holidays, I spent some time at the hangar and the WX was terrible so I thought what the heck, and I hooked it up.   It was easy,  I bought a DB-9 at Radio shack and soldered a single wire to pin #3 and the other end to the line that feeds my Tru-Trak AP.  I uploaded the software, unpluged my laptop, and plugged in the new DB9 connecter and turned on the -430 and the Dynon.  The DG page popped up when I pushed the button and when I hit OK on the -430, the Dynon said "no GPS Fix."

I was it was too simple. (under an hour total) Now I was getting itchy to fly, but the WX has been terrible until today.  Today was beautiful, and I have 3 words  ABSOLUTELY - AMAZING!!!!!!  (Insert the missing word of your choice)

CONGRATULATIONS Dynon.  What an amazing addition to a wonderful product.   I have flown several glass airplanes and a few glass HSI's and you got it right!!!!!  Everything you need without all the unnecessary clutter!   And as if the HSI was not enough, you threw in an RMI for free.  But then, the HSI was FREE!!!  How can it be?????  

Flying a GPS approach is just a breeze.  it is too easy, the course line automatically rolls around to the new bearing at every fix, just as slick as the Sandel.

It is with some trepidation that I tell you, if you had charged $500 for the upgrade, I would not have bought it.  But, if the software was free for 90 days with a $500 charge after that, I would pay the upgrade fee today.   All this with only a GPS hookup.  I guess the upgrade will really cost several thousand, because now I have to buy an SL-30 to take full advantage of the HSI capability.

The only thing I can knock so far is the winds aloft computation highlights the pitot tube installation error.  I don't know if some Airspeed calibration adjustment can increase the accuracy of the winds aloft info, that will take some practice, but that is a small bugaboo, and clearly mine, not yours.  However, I imagine that will be a common problem and some people who read data displayed in 1 kt resolution will expect to have 1 kt accuracy.  This is not a reasonable expectation, and a problem shared by nearly all winds aloft calculators in GA airplanes.  

A huge Attaboy to all involved to an amazing upgrade to a great product. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!   BTW, how ya comin' on that Altitute Alerter???

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal
F1 EVO Rocket
D100, G-430, & looking for an SL-30

azscotts

RV-7A N696JS (reserved)
I will preface my reply by telling you I am still building my RV-7A and a GNS-430/Dual D100's/D120 looks like my final panel itteration.

If memory serves me correctly, there are others that have posted the question about using the NAV data from the 430 for the new firmware HSI and someone suggested that the NAV data stream from the 430 was the same as the SL-30 (I could be mistaken) or that there was a way to make it work.

Just thought I would throw that your direction before you run out looking for an SL-30...maybe ping the group for some responses because I would sure like to know myself.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The 430 does not output NAV data via serial. The only way we will be able to support the NAV function of the 430 is with new hardware.

There is another Garmin unit (GX-80 I think) that does output GPS and SL-30 data in one stream, and we hope to support that someday, but the 430 will never be supported with just a firmware update.

khorton

If you developed a piece of external hardware that would allow the GNS-430/530 to drive the HSI, you would sell them by the hundreds.  I'd buy one, and a second D10A to be a full-time HSI.

DougR

Kevin,

What kind of box would that take? I am assuming it would have to take the analog left right, up down info and convert it to a serial datastream, and then how would the OBS work? Also, things that the SL-30 outputs like the ident and the bearing info would be gone too.

What we need is some new software for the -430 that outputs all this info to the serial data stream. I doubt that Garmin has any interest in supporting a competitors product now that they are selling an EFIS to the EXP market.

It would seem I am still looking for a SL-30.....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Simn_Smith

It was my first real chance to have a play with the HSI today and it's ace!

DSC_1786%20copy_edited-1.jpg

130kts true off 100hp and only 50% power.  The 171kts groundspeed is even better!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Whoa. Was that wind real? I've never seen the track and heading pointer so far apart!

n468ac

It was my first real chance to have a play with the HSI today and it's ace!

DSC_1786%20copy_edited-1.jpg

130kts true off 100hp and only 50% power.  The 171kts groundspeed is even better!

WOW 1150 fpm down and only doing 119 kts ... what plane are you flying?

Simn_Smith

It's a Europa. There was a "little" turbulence about. The next picture in the sequence taken about three seconds later shows 650fpm up with much the same attitude. Earlier in the flight we had 2250fpm up at 75% pwr in mountain wave.

(and yes, the wind readout is correct!)