Hunting Compass Readings

ksouthar

Installed a 2nd D10A with remote compass (in March) to serve as the HSI indicator for my GPS.  Has worked fine for 9 months.  Had an annunciator panel installed to upgrade the panel to IFR connected to the KLN90B (which has been in the panel for 4 years) in December.  On a test flight last week, the heading indicator on the D10A sweeps back and forth about 90 degrees fairly constantly.  Ideas? :-/

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Is there anything new in the vicinity of the EDC-D10A? That sounds like something is affecting the magnetometer.

Alternatively, if there was something up with the inertial sensors in the EFIS, you you might see some erroneous attitude or turn rate on the EFIS display as an additional symptom.

ksouthar

Nothing new near the EDC10A.

Only thing new is in the panel, an MD41 Annunciator. They did upgrade the firmware when they did the installation. Perhaps when the shop was working in the panel a pin or connector is loose?

Doesn't seem to be an issue on the ground check but once I'm airborn, it is all over the map. I'll reach under the panel and wiggle the harness next time on the ground and see if that has an affect. I'll also check the attitude in flight. I use it for the HSI display so I seldom look at the attitude display.

The EDC-10 for the other D10 is mounted right next to this one. Solid and stable heading readings on that device.

ks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You'd see an EDC NOT DETECTED message if the EDC was working and then wasn't, but just for kicks, try waving a magnet (a headset earcup usually works fine for this) around the EFIS face itself, then the EDCs, just to make sure the EDCs are actually providing the heading to the EFIS units. Beyond that, perhaps try flipping the two EDCs. You may need to recalibrate to get perfectly accurate heading, but at least you can narrow it to an EDC issue vs an EFIS issue.