IFR Procedures (GNS-430W - Skyview)

timfwalsh01

I am going to start my IFR rating, been putting it off until  I had the right equipment - no excuses now!!

Does anyone have a checklist/procedures for Skyview for shooting approaches?  At what point in time would you switch HSI source for the ILS/LPV etc.  I did not see this level of detail in operating instructions.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!  Tim

60av8tor

At what point in time would you switch HSI source for the ILS/LPV etc.  I did not see this level of detail in operating instructions.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!  Tim

Tim, I hope I'm understanding your question, but it depends on how you're getting to the FAF.  If you're on vectors - which is probably the case on an ILS unless your doing the full procedure for practice - you can change the nav source to the localizer as soon as you receive your first heading assignment.  You have probably already set your MDA bug at this point, but assuming you're at your final intercept altitude, this is also a good time to set your altitude bug to the MDA if on a non-precision approach.  Now that we have vertical AP guidance, if on an ILS I set my MA altitude in the bug instead.

As far as the LPV, I'm not sure what you're asking.  All guidance would be coming from the 430 for the entire approach. 

Also, when you select the approach, you are asked to select a fix or vectors.  I pick the point that makes sense for my direction of flight.  If put on vectors, it is easy enough to quickly change in the 430, which then gives you the extended centerline displayed from the FAF

johnsteichen

My recommendation is to not confuse your self until you have completed your rating. You should be hand flying your training aircraft to get your money's worth out of your training. You have enough to think about during your training without worrying about autopilot procedures. The autopilot is used to lighten your workload once you are competant at flying the aircraft by hand. Learn your craft then learn to use the ap to practice your craft. Js

rlallen1

I love flying!
My recommendation is to not confuse your self until you have completed your rating. You should be hand flying your training aircraft to get your money's worth out of your training. You have enough to think about during your training without worrying about autopilot procedures. The autopilot is used to lighten your workload once you are competant at flying the aircraft by hand. Learn your craft then learn to use the ap to practice your craft. Js

IIRC, if your airplane is equiped with an a/p then you will be required to shoot one approach for your checkride. If so, then you are prudent to learn to use and set up the a/p now. Although, you really should be hand flying as much as possible during training.

timfwalsh01

John,

You hit on a couple of my points.

I admit I did not clearly articulate my point - what I am looking for - best practices/sequence of events:

Since I am just beginning to use the Skyview, I want to develop good habits, and develop muscle memory from the beginning.  I would like to use the full capabilities of the Skyview and GNS-430W. 

I understand Dynon will have a future capability for taking the route on the 430W, and display on the map.  Until then, you need to save approach waypoints on the USB for it to be displayed on the map. 

I also have the subscription for the Seattle geosynched approach plates.  Since a USB must be plugged in for the plates to work, I have the USB plugs now on the panel for easy access.  For the waypoints to show up on the map, I must already have the waypoints saved on the same USB.

So, I was hoping for a sequence of events:

While in cruise, approaching the IAF (understanding you can use vectors, or shoot the entire approach based on ATC), I should set the altitude bug for the IAF, and the bug for the MDA/DH.

If you have the geosynched approach plates, do you use this feature, or do you use the moving map (do you already have the approach waypoints on the USB, with the approach points or you use the GNS-430W map for SA, and pull up the approach plates....

The above is illustrative of what  I was looking for, an already developed checklist that I could use your best practices.

Hope this makes more sense.  Thanks  Tim

rlallen1

I love flying!
"IIRC, if your airplane is equiped with an a/p then you will be required to shoot one approach for your checkride"..

Rereading this, I should have stated... if your airplane is equiped with an a/p then you will be required to shoot one approach for your checkride using the a/p".. along with the other req'mts.

60av8tor

There is definitely a lot to learn with a TAA when transitioning from a six-pack that I learned on (still have a soft spot for NDB approaches as it is the first approach I ever learned).  That being said, I concur with what others have said (missed the training part) about learning the basics, hand flying, etc.  I’m sure you know this and your instructor will demand it.  Having said that…

Once you learn your systems/switchology cold, a TAA provides so much SA and capability it is absolutely amazing.  Another poster, I believe, said that the 430 is a PIA to load an approach (apologies if I misread that).  I’ve got to think that is from lack of familiarity…??  Push PROC – select approach – select IAF/vectors – either load or activate – done… very quickly done.

I’ve been waiting for the capability to cross-fill a 430 flight plan on the SV map – will be very nice.  Right now, I load the 430 flight plan and sometimes also load the SV.  If I also load the SV, I do it on the ground if short, in the air if longer.  Loading the SV flight plan is super quick once you get used to the button pushing.  A lot of the time, I will only use the map for SA (no route) when using the 430 for an IFR flight.  It’s quick enough, if needed, to put in a quick direct to point if desired for SA. 

The way the altitude bug works with the advanced AP is nice.  Some guys don’t like the fact that it doesn’t automatically initiate the climb or descent, but for IFR flying the advanced setup is how it should be.  When I am at my last altitude before the approach commences (FAF/procedure turn altitude) I can set the MDA into the altitude bug, and once crossing the FAF using the VS mode, initiate the final approach descent.  Obviously now that SV AP can fly the GS, this is N/A for an ILS.  As far as setting the MDA bug, this can be set whenever, but I usually do it when I brief the approach to myself, which I do while still in the enroute phase while things are calm  ;)

I definitely use the geo-referenced plates!!  Usually when in the terminal environment – about 20-30NM out – there is nothing the SV map is really adding – especially when, as is usually the case, I’m on vectors.  Also, you can usually see your position on the plate by this time.  Initially it was a pain to go back and forth between the map/plate, but I didn’t know about holding the map button for 2 secs to swap between map/plate views – great feature! 

I love IFR flying, but it requires a really good sense of organization and routine.  Once you get your personal routine down, you’ll realize every approach is pretty much the same – just different freqs/altitudes.  Good luck and have fun with your training!

TRCsmith

My advice is get your instrument material and start studying. If you have an instructor that will teach you in your acft then you will learn the correct procedure while flying. Otherwise you will learn and take your check ride in the training acft. Then you can transition to your equipment in your plane with the help if you need it with an instructor. You also need to spend a lot of time reading the GNS 430W manual. It will tell you how and when to use what functions. You might also get the training DVD for that system and watch it a few times. New skill and new avionics require training, don't rush it. ;)