ILS Backcourse

GalinHdz

We were doing a practice ILS approach at KSGJ and both SkyView CDI's (G430W) were indicating a backcourse instead of a regular course. At the same time my 2nd ILS (VAL429, not connected to the SkyView displays) was indicating correctly. Both were displaying a correct glideslope.

Is there a "button/switch" I may have accidentally pressed on the SkyView or the G430W that activated a backcourse indication instead of the normal indication? I couldn't find anything on the SkyView or G430W documentation.

I have dual Skyview Classic displays with ARINC-429 module

:-?

kurtfly

I love flying!
Select the "Front side" course with the CRS knob. This is one of the functions of the LH SV knob "CRS" . Select CRS with the LH knob and rotate until correct course is on the arrow head. You set the inbound course after you select and load the desired approach. Press the OBS button on 430 to enter ILS mode. With the 430W in ILS mode you can dial in/ pre-set the Final approach course then hit the OBS button to go back to GPS mode.

Kurt

GalinHdz

Select the "Front side" course with the CRS knob.  This is one of the functions of the LH SV knob "CRS" .  Select CRS with the LH knob and rotate until correct course is on the arrow head.  You set the inbound course after you select and load the desired approach.
THANKS!

I thought the "CRS" knob did not having any effect on the LOC signal but I guess I was wrong. I normally set the "CRS" knob to the inbound course just as a reference but this time I didn't do that. I am almost sure I left it on the outbound leg of the procedure turn I had just done so this explanation makes sense.

Press the OBS button on 430 to enter ILS mode.  With the 430W in ILS mode you can dial in/ pre-set the Final approach course then hit the OBS button to go back to GPS mode.
I just press the CDI button on the G430W to switch between GPS and VLOC. Never tried using the OBS button.

:)

swatson999

I'm not sure that's the right answer...I saw this happen one time, as well...we were practicing IILS approaches, and it was clearly goofed up. I have the same configuration...SV + ARINC + GNS430W.

I seem to recall that we figured out a possible cause, involving being vectored around onto final, but I don't recall the specifics now.

Normally, when the 430 switches to LOC, the SV follows along nicely, as it's supposed to (after all, it only knows what the 430 is sending it), without the need for fiddling around, and you definitely shouldn't need to be pressing OBS and dialing in a LOC course.

swatson999

BTW, were you outbound on the LOC executing a PT? I don't recall offhand if you need to suspend the 430 until completing the PT (god, it's been ages since I flew IFR... :) Guess I need to go get current again LOL!)

GalinHdz

BTW, were you outbound on the LOC executing a PT?  I don't recall offhand if you need to suspend the 430 until completing the PT (god, it's been ages since I flew IFR... :)  Guess I need to go get current again LOL!)
Yes I was and I had the CRS dialed in to display the outbound heading just as a reminder. I don't remember dialing it back to the inbound heading, which is something I normally do to remind me what the final approach course is.

On the G430W, it suspends while you are outbound on the hold. When it determines you are once again inbound to the FAF, it switches back to tracking. If you have to do another hold, then you manually suspend it for another lap.

:cool:

swatson999

BTW, were you outbound on the LOC executing a PT?  I don't recall offhand if you need to suspend the 430 until completing the PT (god, it's been ages since I flew IFR... :)  Guess I need to go get current again LOL!)
Yes I was and I had the CRS dialed in to display the outbound heading just as a reminder. I don't remember dialing it back to the inbound heading, which is something I normally do to remind me what the final approach course is.

On the G430W, it suspends while you are outbound on the hold. When it determines you are once again inbound to the FAF, it switches back to tracking. If you have to do another hold, then you manually suspend it for another lap.

:cool:

After all of this discussion, my flying buddy and I decided it's time to go up next week and shoot a bunch of approaches :)

I'm sorry if I don't remember what caused us to see reverse sensing that one time...I'll ping him to see if he remembers, and get back with you. I just remember it was weird and disconcerting.

johnsteichen

Some folks take perverse pleasure in practicing obsolete BC loc
Approaches. I have done these approaches, practiced them, but I find with me, the potential is always there to screw one up, and they are not even precision approaches.
As I get older, I fly only RNAV or ILS approaches. Period. ;D
The KISS principle. Use what is easy. Use what works. Keep it simple stupid.

GalinHdz

Some folks take perverse pleasure in practicing obsolete BC loc
Approaches. I have done these approaches, practiced them, but I find with me, the potential is always there to screw one up, and they are not even precision approaches.
As I get older, I fly only RNAV or ILS approaches. Period. ;D
The KISS principle. Use what is easy. Use what works. Keep it simple stupid.
And how does this help understand the issue being discussed in this thread?

Hint: It doesn't.   ;)