Inexpensive IFR GPS solution

henrysamson

This is kind of an extension of this post from a few years ago:

Using the information from that post I have been able to come up with an approach capable IFR setup for my Kitfox using a D10a and a Garmin 300XL. My panel space is very limited so I needed a GPS/COM to replace the Narco Com 120 that was installed. Luckily I made the opening 2 inches high thinking that I would someday install a 2 inch high Nav/Com.

The Garmin 300XL fits nicely in the panel and it couples to the HS34 using the ARINC 429 protocol (bidirectional). I also have a IFly GPS that is on a ram mount that is using a HS34 serial port (input only from the IFly) and a VAL 429 NAV (includes VOR + ILS with glideslope) on the other serial port (bidirectional connection). All of these can be displayed on the D10a using the HSI page and the Nav Src button on the HS34. The course on the VAL 429 or the Garmin when in suspend/hold (now called obs) mode can be changed using the course knob on the HS34. I can even select additional bearing pointers from the devices. They all couple with the autopilot to track a course. They do NOT couple to the pitch axis of the autopilot. The "Value" knob on the HS34 controls altitude.

To be legal for approaches an additional small panel had to be built to provide 6 lights and 2 switches. It can be seen above the PFD. The Dynon provides the CDI required. The Dynon D10a serial altitude provides the required altitude data. The Garmin 300XL is not a WAAS GPS so an additional method of navigation is needed nor does it allow "precision" (LPV) approaches so the VAL 429 solves both of those issues. The aircraft is now considered a TAA or Technologically Advanced Aircraft. Go figure. Both the Uavionix PFD and the Dynon D10a have battery backups and can swap functions although the Uavionix in DG mode does not display anything but the GPS bearing, ground speed and name of the active waypoint. A lot of redundancy and also a lot of versatility. The GPS can substitute as an ADF, DME, VOR and Marker Beacons.

The VAL 420 was bought on Barnstormers and the Garmin 300XL of Ebay. I built the annunciator panel and did the installation. A fairly cheap ifr upgrade. Oh yes, the next fix on the approach is "DDTOO".

Garmin_Panel.jpg

Last edited: