Initial Flying Observations of Skyview

timfwalsh01

Folks,

I just finished up my “five hours fly off” for my Skyview Velocity panel.  I replaced my entire panel with two Skyview systems.  My CFII, A&P, IA also a FAA ATC wanted me to fly the five hours (this was not mandated by the FSDO).  I wanted to offer my initial observations – WOW!!  My CFII corporate jet guy’s observations – WOW!! Really worth the effort.  

It took some time for me to understand the capabilities, and process to enable all those capabilities.  I do have a recommendation – at the end.

Installation is very straight fwd, and simple (goes much faster if you are in country to do it.  I have been travelling allot).

My system consists of two Skyviews (one 10 inch, and one 7 inch.  Like the 10 inch sooooo much better), two GPSes, one EMS, and one ADAHRS (I will install a second for complete IFR redundancy.  I totally removed my vacuum system).  See pictures of install on website below.

I have four GPSes attached the system.  GPS0 – Dynon GPSes, GPS1 GNS-430, and GPS2 Garmin 496.  All GPSes work well with the HSI, and the autopilot.  The capability of showing multiple RMI needles on the HSI is great for situational awareness.

The in-flight setup (pitch) was quite simple.  I defiantly needed to fly with a second person (my CFII) to perform the initial setup.  I had some strong cross winds (according to the system - 32knots) during my initial setup.  This led to a decent gap between Heading and Track.  It took me a little bit to figure out why the numbers were not all the same.  Finally made the determination the compass system was properly calibrated.

Recommendation:

- To know the system well (develop muscle memory) you really to need to use it – which means fly it.  Ideally, it would be great if some sort of simulator/software were available to assist with the training.  I have been using a flight simulator with an EFIS to train my eyes where every piece of data is located.  If you have been raised on the “six-pack,” then you need to be retrained.  Doing this in the cockpit is not the best learning environment.  I realize this is a business decision to produce a software simulator package, but in the long run I think it would be a great advertising tool, which leads to greater sales.  

Future:
- I plan to purchase the Dynon Mapping software.  Having a large moving map in front of you is one of the best SA tools.  Having a moving map with all the great software planning tools (routes, airport info) will be even better

- AIRINC-429 I will purchase this device to take full advantage of the GNS-430’s capabilities.  I will also upgrade the 430 to a 430W to make the system even better.
Undecided:
- I currently have the Garmin-496 with XM Weather.  Great feature while in flight.  Will wait to see what system will be compatible with the Skyview.
- Traffic  I currently have a GTX-327.  Do I upgrade to a GTX-330, or the new Dynon Xponder?  It appears the capabilities for Traffic will be the similar.
IPAD
- I finally broke down and purchased one.  I am currently using Foreflight for Flight Planning and Weather.  The Weather features are great.  Very quickly I can make an informed decision about VFR flight possibilities.  I will hold out for a as long as possible to see if Foreflight will adapt new technology to receive accurate weather in flight.  If you are older than 50, the capability to enlarge the data on the screen is well worth the price, especially while in flight!!
IFR Training
- Once I have all the Dynon equipment/software, I will develop an IFR training plan.  I will post my observations on the below site.

Again in summary – WOW!!  What a great capability.  Tim

http://web.me.com/timfwalsh/Site/Welcome.html

flyingboy

Great summary, I have installed the same two panels and so far have flown around the hanger. I have connected the Dynon GPS and have not connected my Garmin 250 GPS but it seems like this might be a good option. i am hoping to get my RV finished but with all these upgrades and new gear it gets further instead of closer. Anyway with reviews like your it makes it all the more exciting. ;D

Cheers Hugh

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for the nice words. In lieu of an end-to-end simulator (which we have discussed, and would like to do, but it's not trivial, and we have only so many resources), what customers might find helpful would be to take a two-pronged approach.

First, just like you can sit in a cockpit, or a folding chair, and "chair-fly" your airplane, you can sit on the ground, with power on, and learn all of the menu interfaces before you fly. There's practically nothing that demands that you actually be flying to control. You can even play with AP modes if you have it installed.

Second, buy a copy of MS Flight Simulator or X-plane, and fly behind a simulated EFIS. Though some of the details will vary, the core positioning of the instruments are going to be very similar to our products. You can use this to learn how to adjust your scan to glass if you're not familiar with flying behind it.

cperry

Oh, I'd like like to be able to make a model of my 9A in X-Plane complete with dual 10" skyview's though. :)

timfwalsh01

Hugh,

Glad I could help!!  This is a great forum to share experiences, and resolve small nagging problems (most - self induced).

Dynon - I agree those programs are good. I have both, and I also have ASA's IFR On Top software.  I saw the Avidine system and loved it as a result of flying in the simulators.  

I liked it so much, I started doing researching to put in my plane.  That is unitl I saw the price tag!!  

I know it is a business decision not to produce a sim product.  Maybe there is another company to partner with (X-plane?).

Love the products!!  Tim