Installation Questions for Video Series

davedubb

Dynon builders, we are looking for a few good topics to cover in our upcoming installation video series. The topics should be installation related i.e. “How do I mount the SkyView screen to my panel?” and not related to operation of the system. If you have an idea for a topic please put it into question form, include your full name and location (so I can credit you with the question). All question can be posted on this forum in this topic.
-Go Build!

AlanR

Suggestions...
How about a 'Mounting the AHARS and the remote Magnetometer' ...the importance of the degree accuracy of the relationship with the Skyview unit?
or
Mounting a Skyview unit/Autopilot/Knobs Panel in a Composite panel?...the need to strengthen the panel etc.

GalinHdz

How about mounting the remote transponder and ADS-B module. Emphasis on minimum location distances, antenna and coax requirements.

Galin Hernandez; Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

GalinHdz

Physical mounting of autopilot servos with emphasis on distance, structural and torque requirements.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Harry,
There are two reasons you can't extend the backup battery wires- electrical noise and battery life.

Due to the "high" power nature of the backup battery wires, they emit more noise than other signals into or out of SkyView. The shorter they are, the less issues they will cause.

Since all wires are resistive, the longer the wire, the more power lost in that wire. Thus, as you lengthen the wire, you also reduce the amount of time SkyView can run on the battery when it's being used in an emergency, as well as increasing the time it takes to charge.

krw5927

I love flying!
My vote is for, "how to plan your panel to accommodate all the neat stuff we'll release in the future so you don't have to keep cutting more holes and relocating everything." :D

lgabriel

I love flying!
they emit more noise than other signals into or out of SkyView. The shorter they are, the less issues they will cause.

Since all wires are resistive, the longer the wire, the more power lost in that wire.

Sounds like using shielded wire of the proper gauge would solve both of these issues. Perhaps you could offer a connector kit and a recommended wire spec to customers who would really like to relocate the battery.

GalinHdz

Any particular aircraft you would like to cover talking about servo installations?

No. Make it generic so it can be viewed and used on any aircraft. Point out things that would be different to different aircraft but keep it generic. Best of all use any airplane except an RV. The RV's are great aircraft and have multiple videos on how to install servos in them.

:cool:

swatson999

Physical mounting of autopilot servos with emphasis on distance, structural and torque requirements.

This would be a good one...I installed mine on the brackets and such on the bench, then installed the whole thing in the airplane, so you may wish to consider demonstrations of both options (bench installation, safety-wiring, etc. vs. in situ).

Also, this brings up a good point...make sure in any videos you talk about what NOT to do or how NOT to improperly install something, anything. E.g., the servo arm limiting bracket...make sure it is oriented properly; or double-checking to prevent over-center conditions on servo arms. Even basic wiring no-no's would be good to cover if you can weave them into the video script.

Sometimes knowing what *not* to do is just as important as knowing what *to* do....

CSCameron

I love flying!
I'll bring back this old thread...  ;D

Maybe a series of videos discussing the different considerations when picking locations to mount all the various components in the Skyview system? Both good and bad locations should be covered and why? Considerations for composite vs. fabric vs. metal aircraft presented.

Maybe break it up into Panel/Firewall vs. Fuselage/Wing mounted components? Emphasis should be on how to get the most out of the system design for the type of aircraft its going in?

mrdaud

How about mounting engine sensors? Like where (considering engine vibration), manifold pressure sensor connections to the engine, etc.