Installing second HDX screen

Madeaton

I am in the initial stages of installing a SV HDX system in a tandem seat aircraft. I would like to set up the rear screen as a repeater for the front (both screens have AV-30 backups). Besides the SV Net cable and the Ethernet cable, what other connections must I make between the screens? I have separate power wires for separate circuit breakers and a common ground for both screens (and the rest of my SV components). I have a Dynon EMS, ARINC, ADAHARS, XPNDR connected to the front screen (and third party Nav and radios) but I also have a Dynon ADSB and magnetometer I need to connect. Can I connect either one of these to my rear HDX open SV port?

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Power as described is correct (for one display both sets of power wires are connected to a single fuse). The Dynon SV-Net copies all the data from the Dynon SV-Net based modules (EMS, ADAHRS, ARINC, KNOBS etc) to the second screen. The Ethernet cable copies the databases (aviation and obstacle) between the two systems so that updates only need to be installed on one Dynon screen and then are automatically copies them to both systems. But this does not apply to the external maps this need to be separately installed on a memory stick for each of the displays. For the non-SV-Net interfaced units (serial interfaces, XPNDR, GPS202 etc) these are normally connected in parallel to both Dynon displays to provide a redundancy. I would think the magnetometer (at least the Dynon one) is connected to SV-Net

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
SkyView Network and the serial ports are the only ones that HAVE to be connected. Ethernet is optional (it only syncs digital databases, saving you having to upload it to both displays).

And SkyView Network can be brought in from any SkyView Network-connected device. IE, all SkyView Network cables carry the same signal.

Madeaton

OK. I think I have a better (yet weak) grasp of my setup based on your explanation.
I have two HDX screens, front and back, each with its own battery.
I have: Dynon EMS, ADAHARS, ARINC, SV Hub, XPNDR, ADSB, MAG, Heated Pitot and AOA, Tray and the SV Net cables
I have a Garmin GNS430W, a Garmin GTR200B radio, two UAvionix AV-30 as backup (front and back.

The wiring between all Dynon components is pretty straight forward. My goal is to just make the rear screen a repeater of the front.

Rhino

There is technically no way to make it a 'true' repeater. It's an independent system in many ways, that just coordinates with another system to share data. But you can make it display and function identically to the front cockpit by giving it the exact same setup configuration. Is that what you mean?

Madeaton

Well, I guess I know what you mean. I will be setting up the front display as the “master” as per the instructions. Once I hook up the SV net in the rear with the front, I jump at need to know what all are the inputs I need for the rear screen from the individual units (such as ADSB or GNS 430W) that do not come through the SV net cable. The installation manual does not say splice the whole D37 with the front D37.

Rhino

Skyview uses a serial multi-drop network where all devices get the exact same data. Your Dynon ADS-B is connected on the network, and both displays get the data from it that way. If your GNS 430 is connected via a Dynon ARINC 429 module, it should distribute the data over the network in the same way. But since I'm not familiar with the GNS 430, I ask anyone more knowledgeable to correct me if I'm wrong. Your front display should be automatically set as master when you enter setup from there. Both displays should have the same tail number, but that should automatically populate once it's set in the master screen. The only wiring change I'm aware of is tying the audio alert (left and right) together for both screens when going to an audio panel, so you hear all alerts. Multiple screen installs are addressed in numerous locations in the install manual. You can find most of them by searching for "more than one display".

kjmorris2023

I am in the initial stages of installing a SV HDX system in a tandem seat aircraft. I would like to set up the rear screen as a repeater for the front (both screens have AV-30 backups). Besides the SV Net cable and the Ethernet cable, what other connections must I make between the screens? I have separate power wires for separate circuit breakers and a common ground for both screens (and the rest of my SV components). I have a Dynon EMS, ARINC, ADAHARS, XPNDR connected to the front screen (and third party Nav and radios) but I also have a Dynon ADSB and magnetometer I need to connect. Can I connect either one of these to my rear HDX open SV port?
Why not just install an iPad in rear? On the network it will get ADS B info using any apps like ForeFlight etc. A lot more inexpensive!

Rhino

He already has the two HDX units, and I imagine that's because he wants normal EFIS system functionality as opposed to just an ADS-B display.

Madeaton

The Dynon transponder and Dynon ADSB units specify connecting to both displays. I believe the ADAHRS, ARINC, EMS and Magnetometer only need to be connected to the main display. I am still doing research on Garmin GNS 430W and Garmin GTR 200B. Any previous experience with a similar install?

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
I have my Garmin GNS 430W (both ARINC and serial) goes via the ARINC interface unit and that is directly connected to the Dynon bus.
I don't have experience with the DTR 200B, but my SL-30 compatible radio goes via the rs232 serial interface to both displays, just like the other serial interfaces

Rhino

The front and rear displays don't have separate connections on the transponder and ADS-B units. Those units (transponder and ADS-B) only have one serial connection (RX and TX) . The serial wires for those connections are simply tied together to both displays. The pins used on the displays depends on what port you want to use there. The 430 should connect over the serial bus. Not sure about the GTR 200.

jessesaint

You will splice all of the serial ports with the front screen. You will also need the SV-Network connection. When you get power to the whole system, make sure to do a network detect from the Front (previously existing) screen and it will push all of the settings including serial ports to the Rear (new) screen. You will not splice the power, ground or backup battery wires. If you have audio to your audio panel, you will need to splice those.

Your serial ports will include the Transponder, ADS-B, GTR200 and your GPS250/2020 if you have one. The 430 will just connect to the ARINC module, so it doesn't use a serial port.

rjones560

The network connections (9 pin dsubs) carry most of the information between the screens. However anything that requires a serial port has to be wired to both screens as I recall from wiring in my 3 screen system 2 years ago. The Dynon GPS antenna, Transponder and ADSB all require serial ports as I recall. I used all 5 serial ports because I wired in 2 Dynon GPS antennas/receivers as well as the Vertical Power interface.

I found that the Dynon Technical Support people are very knowledgable and can answer all your questions if you know what to ask.
It sounds like you only want the rear screen to display information without being able to actually run the avionics and navigation systems. That may be possible, but I never considered doing something like that.

John Lucas

I’m in the final stages of doing something similar in a Yak52. The only difference is using a IFD440 instead of the 430. You should be able to do everything you want to do. I’d recommend talking over the specifics with Dynon support folks. It’s relatively simple. Jesse Saint has done a bunch of these and is also very knowledgeable. If his waitlist hadn’t been so long I’d have used him for the install.