installing second HDX screen

jwilbur

I've been running with a single HDX screen for a while in my RV10. The whole system is calibrated and the screens are configured just the way I like them. It's a full skyview system with all the normal peripherals (EMS, comm, x-ponder, ads-B, AOA, etc).

I just ordered a second HDX screen. I built the panel with all the wiring ready to go for the second screen - just waited to purchase until now.

1... Will I have to do a hardware detect on the second screen as I did with the first? Or will the second screen automatically talk to the first through the ethernet cable when it powers on the first time and get all the detected components?

2... What is the procedure to set up the second screen at this point so that all the screen configurations and calibrations from the first screen are cloned to the second?

Thanks,
-Joe Wilbur

Raymo

I love aviation!
Joe,

When I added a second Skyview Touch (not HDX), the second screen picked up all the configuration from the first screen. I think you need to have the network cable (any standard CAT5/RJ-45 will do) between them for this to work but not sure. I know it is need to avoid having to install map updates to both screens every month.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So in your case, once you're all wired up (serial ports, audio all parallelled, etc), the main thing you'll need to do - once that second display is connected via SkyView Network, is to do a network detection from your FIRST screen. You don't want to set up anything on the second new one. You should even leave its tail number alone (and set to DYNON, its factory default). New displays are basically primed (using that special DYNON tail number) to adopt/copy in all of the settings when you do a network configuration from an existing display. After you've done that, there are a couple of settings in local display setup that you may (or may not) care to adjust for that particular display, but that's about it. Of course, refer to our installation guide for complete details, but this is a pretty simple operation.

jwilbur

Ahhh. This is what I needed. Do a detect on the existing screen before doing anything on the new screen. Thank you.

I searched the install manual for how to set up a second display and if you say it's in there I believe you; but I sure couldn't find anything about it.