Intermittent amperage spike causing engine aural warning

gras747

My CTLS is sounding the engine alarm when the ammeter hits the redline briefly. I've tried cleaning the connections on the shunt with no luck.

airguy

Might not be the shunt causing the problem. The alternator could be sensing a "low" voltage on the system and trying to put out maximum effort to bring the voltage up - is your alternator internally or externally regulated?

gras747

There is an external VR that I replaced that seems to have fixed the generator light that was flickering on at low RPM's. But the intermittent amperage spike seems to be unrelated. I believe the redline on the ammeter is minus 22 because it flashes for 2 or 3 seconds, enough time to see it before it goes back to the normal range.

jakej

Maybe you have too many electrics on (too much 'load') when at low rpm? Some aircraft systems do not output enough power to overcome the 'loads' ;)

gras747

The anomely does not occur at low RPM. It only happens inflight and just for a few seconds. The ammeter drops to the bottom of the scale and hits the red line (approx. -22 amps), then sets off the engine alarm which can be silenced with the silence button that pops up. Within 2 or 3 seconds after the alarm goes off, whether you silence it or not, the amps reading returns to normal and the warning goes away. Catastrohy averted. It does get your attention. What the...

Marc_J._Zeitlin

The anomely does not occur at low RPM. It only happens inflight and just for a few seconds. The ammeter drops to the bottom of the scale and hits the red line (approx. -22 amps), then sets off the engine alarm which can be silenced with the silence button that pops up. Within 2 or 3 seconds after the alarm goes off, whether you silence it or not, the amps reading returns to normal and the warning goes away. Catastrohy averted. It does get your attention. What the...
So in order to determine what might be going on, the first question to ask is "What is the Ammeter Measuring"? There are usually three possibilities:
  1. Alternator Output
  2. Bus Current Usage
  3. Battery Current In/Out (sans starter current)
Without knowing what the ammeter is measuring (IOW, where in the circuit the shunt is), it's impossible to say what might be going on. We need more info.

Personally, I'm partial to setting up an ammeter for configuration (3), but most aircraft are setup for (1) or (2).

airguy

The fact that it only happens in flight points to vibration as a root cause - likely to be a loose connection somewhere. Pull a set of user data and go look at the reading for the ammeter in there, see if that gives you any kind of clue.

It could be a false indication (like a connection to the shunt, or in the EMS) or it could be a real short somewhere that is pulling a lot of current - does your voltage stay level/steady during the event?

gras747

So in order to determine what might be going on, the first question to ask is "What is the Ammeter Measuring"? There are usually three possibilities:
  1. Alternator Output
  2. Bus Current Usage
Without knowing what the ammeter is measuring (IOW, where in the circuit the shunt is), it's impossible to say what might be going on. We need more info.

Personally, I'm partial to setting up an ammeter for configuration (3), but most aircraft are setup for (1) or (2).
  1. Alternator Output
  2. Bus Current Usage

I've just flown again with no issues after thoroughly buffing the contacts on the shunt and re-applying the DeoxIT liquid. Your question of what the ammeter is actually measuring puzzles me and so far I don't have access to a Flight Design CTLS schematic. I suspect that it is showing bus current usage because the normal reading is a minus 8 or 9 amps.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

I've just flown again with no issues after thoroughly buffing the contacts on the shunt and re-applying the DeoxIT liquid.
You didn't say how often this happens or how regularly, but if after cleaning/buffing it stopped happening, then you may have found the root cause.

Your question of what the ammeter is actually measuring puzzles me and so far I don't have access to a Flight Design CTLS schematic. I suspect that it is showing bus current usage because the normal reading is a minus 8 or 9 amps.
Well, if it was alternator output, that would USUALLY show up as a positive number (but not always - depends completely on configuration). If it was battery current, then it would (when the battery has recharged after starting) show up as 0 - 1A, as it would be only trickle charging the battery. So you're PROBABLY correct that it's showing your bus usage (although I'd reconfigure it to show it as a positive #, but that's just me).

gras747

You didn't say how often this happens or how regularly, but if after cleaning/buffing it stopped happening, then you may have found the root cause.

Well, if it was alternator output, that would USUALLY show up as a positive number (but not always - depends completely on configuration). If it was battery current, then it would (when the battery has recharged after starting) show up as 0 - 1A, as it would be only trickle charging the battery. So you're PROBABLY correct that it's showing your bus usage (although I'd reconfigure it to show it as a positive #, but that's just me).
Do you know how to re-configure for a positive reading? That makes more sense to me.

bbtapb

Been there. Almost certainly you have some unplanned resistance or intermittence in the measurement circuit.