Introducing SkyView Assist

jdubner

[I'm posting this jointly with friend and fellow RV-driver, Peter Seferovic.]

Announcing SkyView Assist (™), an Android application for use with the Dynon SkyView.  SkyView Assist displays Dynon SkyView engine gauges on your tablet or phone.  This allows you to display a larger Map page and/or display engine instruments for a co-pilot or passenger.  This is especially useful for those of us who have no panel space for an additional SkyView (think RV-8 and Long-EZ).

SVA2.png

More details are available at https://skyviewassist.wordpress.com/

It's free; just download and install it from the Google Play store.  Or it can be downloaded from the above URL.

But there is one tiny catch: SkyView Assist requires a serial port connection to the Dynon SkyView.  It's not hard to add a serial-to-Bluetooth adapter to a SkyView spare output port and pair it with your tablet.  These adapters are available inexpensively from Amazon, eBay and other sites.

Future releases may add other functionality such as customization of the engine indicators and the layout.  And eventually there may be a PFD page so an aft cockpit passenger can see the altitude, airspeed, etc.

Contact Peter with questions or issues about the app at skyviewassist@gmail.com.  Or I can help you with Bluetooth installation issues by emailing me at the same address.

--
Joe

ronE

Dynon, as I have run out of serial port connections on my dual Skyview is there a Bluetooth adapter anywhere in the future?

Ron

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What devices do you have hooked to your system? There is a good chance you have one that is RX only and you can use the TX on that to stream to an adapter.

SwedeFlyer

I love flying!
I just uploaded a new version of SkyView Assist.
This new version 1.2.16 has new functionality in the ‘Setting’ Menu. You can now change the ranges, colors and titles on the engine gauges. You can also 'Export' and 'Import' Engine parameters. Check it out
Peter

W

William_Ince

I just uploaded a new version of SkyView Assist.
This new version 1.2.16 has new functionality in the ‘Setting’ Menu. You can now change the ranges, colors and titles on the engine gauges. You can also 'Export' and 'Import' Engine parameters.  Check it out
Where's the link? :-[

ronE

What devices do you

Dynon, sorry for not answering earlier.

I have your ADSB, Transponder, GPS and the VPX-Pro each using a serial port. Then I have the 796 using the RX and a 406 ELT using the TX on the remaining serial port.

Hence no remaining serial ports. :'(

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Run the 406 ELT off the 796 directly and you get one back if you want to.

ronE

I guess that would work until the next gizmo that needs a serial port comes along.

However, I was hoping to keep the 406 hooked up to the Skyview. So that if, however unlikely one of the GPS fails, I would still have a GPS position going to the 406.