Is my HS34 redundant?

FELX

Hi,
I have D100/120 with HS34.
I'm hoping to fit the Autopilot and the AP74 unit seems to be very useful. However there could be difficulty in finding enough panel space as well as the HS34 - so the obvious idea is to replace the HS43 with the AP74.

Do I lose any functionality in this? As far as I can see I don't..... advice would be appreciated. I only have GPS (not a NAV radio).

Thanks,

Terry
G-FELX

PhantomPholly

I don't use the Dynon autopilot, but several other folks contemplated your situation.

I believe that the consensus was that the HS34 does "more" than the AP74, and since the knobs on the HS34 can also control the AP you should consider keeping the HS34 and skip the AP74.

But don't take my word for it. Make a spreadsheet of the functions of the two and decide for yourself.

:)

Brantel

The HS34 is required if you need ARINC connections. It also allows much more configuration of the EHSI. The HS34 also can output the audio alerts. The HS34 can adjust the bugs that the AP can use.

The HS34 cannot preselect AP modes or turn the AP on or off.

The AP74 does allow for preselecting modes, turning the AP on or off, and adjusting bugs.

You can just use the buttons on the EFIS to change modes and turn the AP on or off but the AP74 really makes this nice. I do not think you can preselect modes with only the EFIS as a control source.

PhantomPholly

The HS34 is required if you need ARINC connections.  It also allows much more configuration of the EHSI.  The HS34 also can output the audio alerts. The HS34 can adjust the bugs that the AP can use.

The HS34 cannot preselect AP modes or turn the AP on or off.

The AP74 does allow for preselecting modes, turning the AP on or off, and adjusting bugs.

You can just use the buttons on the EFIS to change modes and turn the AP on or off but the AP74 really makes this nice.  I do not think you can preselect modes with only the EFIS as a control source.

There you have it.

One addition - you (or, at least I) really don't change autopilot modes much during a typical flight. If you decide you want the HS34, then the questions you have to answer are, a) do I have the panel space? and b) is having a couple of buttons being "more convenient" worth the cost.

Those are purely up to the individual.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
To re-iterate what everyone else has said: The AP74 is all about autopilot, while the HS34 is all about HSI and connectivity (ARINC429). Other than the fact that they can both adjust baro and bugs, everything about their functionality is different.