Lazy Horizon

jaroberts2pe

I thought when I installed 5.1.1 this would be fixed. Wrong. After take-off (sometimes) the horizon is tilted about 5 degrees to the left. It straightens out after about 5 minutes. Please tell me there is an easy fix because when I tried to install 5.1.1 I got the dreaded flashing blue screen.

flycozy

I am returning my 10A for repair of several issues including a lazy horizon. I'll post the results here:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1261682633

Maybe you'll get some useful info from my experience.

jcobb16

We just completed our panel rebuild and started flying this week. We have a D100, D120, HS34, AP74 (Pitch & Roll) installed in an RV-6. Everything is updated to 5.2 firmware. Overall, it's a great setup and we have a ton to learn on how to use it effectively.

There is a lot of lag in the horizon line at higher roll rates. At the completion of a 360-degree roll, the horizon is about 90-120 degrees behind the aircraft bank angle. We made a video of the instrument and noticed that bank angle indicator did not have any significant lag.

Further flight testing showed that we could reduce the lag significantly by making the EFIS full screen on the D100. Any screen splitting formats (EFIS/HSI, EFIS/EMS)  caused the lag to return. The EFIS displayed on the D120 lagged in all cases.

I will post a link to the video once it is uploaded. With the EFIS displayed on both screens, it is disappointing to see them disagree by over 90 degrees during agressive manuevers (unusual attitude recoveries).

EFIS / HSI Split Screen on D100:
The bank angle indication matches the real horizon, but the EFIS horizon lags.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rY1Lz5Wcg

EFIS on D100 and D120:
The bank angle indication matches the D100, but the EFIS horizon on the D120 lags.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBobr-jYrak

Has anyone else seen these issues? Any solutions other than flying full screen EFIS on the D100?

Thanks,
John

glenn654

I have a D-180 with lazy horizon as well. Am disapointed to read that the 5.2 update did not fix the problem; still running the 4.0 version. Could this problem be electronic? If so, I'd like to get repaired before my warranty runs out.

sposner

I too have a lazy horizon on the D-100 / D-120 setup when running split screen (haven't checked full screen but I will). Using software ver 5.2. Also noticed the winds aloft arrow are often a knot different on the two screens as if when in split screen mode the updates between the screens are too slow.

Although I didn't get any error messages I recongiured DSAB just on general principle but that made no improvement.

flycozy

Just received my unit back from repair at Dynon. They fixed my frozen altimeter and apparently did something to help the lazy horizon and lagging heading. I test flew yesterday and the horizon is still slightly wobbly in level flight, showing slight left and right banks when none is occuring, but its better than before. Steep turns show a good horizon tracking well with the natural horizon. Magnetic heading is now perfect, so much better than before.

I notice the factory upgraded my software to 5.2. (I had 5.1.1 before.) That may have something to do with the improvement. Good luck with your issues!