LED Lighting Under HDX Button Panel

N205EN

Yesterday, flying at night, I realized that I need some panel lighting under my HDX screen to illuminate the toggle switches I have there. Has anyone mounted some sort of LED lighting mounted on the underside of the HDX Screen button panel to illuminate the panel under the screen? What did you use?

jefish

I'd look for "silicone led strip" or "EL wire" and see where that gets you. Such as,

andresmith76

I love flying!
I installed a Crazed Pilot LED strip along the bottom of my RV-6 glare shield. It illuminates the entire panel and includes dimmer:

Attachments

• Panel 1-Dark.jpg
    Panel 1-Dark.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
  • Panel 5-LEDs On.jpg
    Panel 5-LEDs On.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 143

ebackscheider

I did the same. Had them on the full dash, but it messed with the light sensor, so I went shorter and just under the HDX to light up the switches. Works perfect!

Albee

I did something similar, except I made 1/2" x 1/2" angle strips that fit just under the button shelf to hold the LED strip, so it's attached and wired to the panel and not actually touching the display. I used amber LEDs, which I've seen suggested recently for astronomy instead of red because our eyes are so much better reading with amber light that the the LEDs can be dimmer and night vision impact is actually lower. Haven't done controlled experiments myself, but it's definitely easy on my aging eyes.

andresmith76

I love flying!
I did something similar, except I made 1/2" x 1/2" angle strips that fit just under the button shelf to hold the LED strip, so it's attached and wired to the panel and not actually touching the display. I used amber LEDs, which I've seen suggested recently for astronomy instead of red because our eyes are so much better reading with amber light that the the LEDs can be dimmer and night vision impact is actually lower. Haven't done controlled experiments myself, but it's definitely easy on my aging eyes.
Do you have any pictures you can post showing your lit panel?

porterjames

I love flying!
I installed blue strip LED's with a dimmer. The only problem I have experienced is that the lights go out when I key the x-mitter.
I'm sure there is some way to fix that but I haven't found it that annoying.

Attachments

• IMG_20211012_212313.jpg
    IMG_20211012_212313.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 123

tniel7331

Yesterday, flying at night, I realized that I need some panel lighting under my HDX screen to illuminate the toggle switches I have there. Has anyone mounted some sort of LED lighting mounted on the underside of the HDX Screen button panel to illuminate the panel under the screen? What did you use?
LED straps work well I prefer blue for subtle lighting they are very reasonably priced

andresmith76

I love flying!
I installed blue strip LED's with a dimmer. The only problem I have experienced is that the lights go out when I key the x-mitter.
I'm sure there is some way to fix that but I haven't found it that annoying.
Looks good - very even lighting on both sides of your panel.
Is the LED strip powered from the same circuit or wire that also powers your 2-way radio?
On the *bright* side (pun intended), you now get visual confirmation whenever your radio is transmitting!

porterjames

I love flying!
Looks good - very even lighting on both sides of your panel.
Is the LED strip powered from the same circuit or wire that also powers your 2-way radio?
On the *bright* side (pun intended), you now get visual confirmation whenever your radio is transmitting!
No, the LED's are on their own separate circuit.
Your observation about verifying the radio reflected my own.

andresmith76

I love flying!
No, the LED's are on their own separate circuit.
Your observation about verifying the radio reflected my place a voltmeter on the LED circuit's +12v and see if it changes when the radio begins transmitting.
Can you connect a voltmeter on the LED circuits +12v input and see if the voltage changes when the radio begins transmitting?

porterjames

I love flying!
I could but I don't find it annoying enough to try to troubleshoot. I have found some reference that the RF may be causing the problem with similar problems with LED's.