Lightspeed III Ignition Advance on Skyview

cbennet12

Hi All,

Has anyone with a LS configured their Skyview to display the amount of ignition advance as output on pin 3 of the LS output connector?

Any tips?

Craig

vlittle

I have the Electroair ignition and it uses the same voltage output for timing.  I display it as PSI on my SkyView.

Vern

===============

sensor={
id=ELECTROAIR TIMING METER
function=PRESSURE
pins=C37_P31 C37_PIN8 C37_PIN22
name=TIMING
name=DEGREE
name=BTDC
min_val=0
max_val=40
resolution=0
round=1
is_piecewise=0
low_coeff={
c_x4=0
c_x3=0
c_x2=0
c_x1=100
c_x0=0
}
low_resistance=NONE
low2high_cross=0
high_coeff={
c_x4=0
c_x3=0
c_x2=0
c_x1=0
c_x0=0
}
high_resistance=NONE
high2low_cross=0
window=.1
shift=5
age=16
}

cbennet12

Thanks for taking the time to respond Vern.

If I'm reading your entry correctly it is dependent on 3 pins, is that correct? If so, what are the outputs from your EI that are mapped to those 3 pins?

The Lightspeed only provides for a single output for Ignition Advance, MAP, and low voltage RPM. Each output has an open shield that is only terminated at the Lightspeed connector, not to aircraft ground or the LCD display that they optionally provide to display these values.

I am getting MAP to display (with several inches of inaccuracy for some reason) but nothing at all on the Ignition Advance which leads me to wonder if the Dynon EMS requires the shielded side of the output as well. It should be displaying ZERO before engine start.

Figure 3 on Page 44 of the Plasma 3 manual is the reference I am using in case you are so inclined to take a look. If not, I certainly understand. :)

Regards,
Craig

Attachments

• Plasma_CdiManual_20130317.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 252

Gmcnair

I love flying!
Hi.
Does it have to be a Type C Enhanced Pin from EMS for Lightspeed Timing display or can I use the Type A General Pin I have available.
Already flying with the II+ system and mini sensor with flywheel ring fixed at 25 BTDC (not adjustable). Now using Mogas so want to retard to 22 BTDC using potentiometer.
Regards
Gary

mmarien

Murray M.
I have the Electroair ignition and it uses the same voltage output for timing.  I display it as PSI on my SkyView.
You can now suppress the units on the display so that the gauge just shows the name. In most cases that is all that is required and you don't really want the TIMING gauge to read in PSI. See the gauges below. Most just show the name.

icon.png

vlittle

You can now suppress the units on the display so that the gauge just shows the name. In most cases that is all that is required and you don't really want the TIMING gauge to read in PSI. See the gauges below. Most just show the name.don't really want the TIMING gauge to read in PSI. See the gauges below. Most just show the name.

... so what am I missing... did Dynon update the sensor definitions to include non-units?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Back in the 11.0 release notes:

Added: Ability to suppress the units (F, PSI, etc) on EMS widgets via EMS SETUP > SENSOR SETUP > [individual sensor settings]

You can do this for any sensor you want and it's nor part of the sensor config. If you really don't want your oil pressure to say OIL PSI but just OIL you could.

mmarien

Murray M.
... so what am I missing... did Dynon update the sensor definitions to include non-units?
I think we asked for a none unit sensor definition but suppressing the units works just as well. :) :)

shenweas

I love flying!

Attachments

• Timing_Map.pdf
    145.8 KB · Views: 265

dougnlina

I love flying!
Maybe I am being a dumba__, but is there some reason I cannot follow the above links regarding Weasels solution to getting the Lightspeed output mapped to the Dynon EMS?

shenweas

I love flying!
The input seems to read the timing very well even if it is a low voltage output.

Attached is a plot of Timing, MAP, RPM, and DALT.

Note the Timing Pressure reading is actualy degrees of timing BTDC due to labeling constraints on the Dynon system.

I have checked the calibration of the Timing referance across the range with a timing light.

29448488055_baae91bfe8_c.jpg

jacktunnell

I love flying!
I'm having trouble with this also. I'm using a Lightspeed L2e signal box to send timing info from both Lightspeed boxes to the Skyview EMS. I'm using EMS pins 22 & 23 configured as pressure with the 0-80 psi selection. The output from the signal box is 0.1v per degree of advance. 2.5v = 25 degrees.
I need help with the set-up please.

jacktunnell

I love flying!
Been studying and have more questions.

I copied this segment from the voltage segment for C37, Pins 1 & 2

All I did was to change the id, pins, names, and min – max values.

Do I just add this in line in the existing sensor config file?

Will the following code, lines, instructions, whatever work for my 0v to 5v output from my Lightspeed L2e output. The output is 0.1v per degree so 2.5v = 25 degrees BTDC.

0v-5v or 0 degrees-50 degrees - - Which is the native unit value?

sensor={
id=Lightspeed L2e Timing Output 0-5v
;VERIFIED POLY, FILTER?
function=VOLTS
pins=C37_P22 C37_P23
name=1 BTDC
name=2 BTDC
name=1 TMNG
name=2 TMNG
min_val=0.0
max_val=5.0
resolution=1
round=.1
is_piecewise=0
low_coeff={
c_x4=0
c_x3=0
c_x2=0
c_x1=1
c_x0=0
}
low_resistance=NONE
low2high_cross=0
high_coeff={
c_x4=0
c_x3=0
c_x2=0
c_x1=0
c_x0=0
}
high_resistance=NONE
high2low_cross=0
window=.2
shift=3
age=16
}

mmarien

Murray M.
Yes. Add it to the SFG file and load it into SV.

If you want 2.5v to equal 25 BTDC (10x) then c_x1=1 needs to be c_x1=10

Also you need to increase the max_val=5.0 to max_val=50.0

For some reason (I can't remember) PRESSURE works better than VOLTS. See Vern definition above. You would just have to change the id= and c_x1=100 needs to be c_x1=10 for his to work for you.