Location of EDC-D10a for an RV8a

Wild_Blue

I am trying to find a location for my EDC.

How far from electrical loads does it need to be? Inches? Feet?

Wing tips? Would the incandecent position lights or Whelen strobes be too much interference?

Tail? The servo for the Tru Trak Altitude Hold is there.

Behind the panel? If it only needs inches I can gett enough seperation behind the Panel.

What have other builders done?

Wild Blue

N707RW

I made a bracket and located it near the top of the rib which is one rib behind the aft baggage compartment. (Same rib that the static tubing crosses over to pick up the second static port) I also changed the aft three or four screws in the canopy sliding rail to non-ferrous screws and nuts. That removed as much ferrous metal as I could find anywhere else in the plane. My wiring in that area runs near the bottom longerons so it is pretty far from the EDC-10A.

My compass came right up and I've never calibrated it because it is always within a degree or two of perfect. ;)

Rich Wilson
RV-8 N707RW

jhbanister

Rich, I am building an RV-8 (not 8A) and am looking to make a similar mount to the one you mention.  However, there is a 10 deg. difference between the rib and the instrument panel.  How did you compensate for this difference when you built your mount?  Thanks.

-John Banister
I made a bracket and located it near the top of the rib which is one rib behind the aft baggage compartment.  (Same rib that the static tubing crosses over to pick up the second static port)  I also changed the aft three or four screws in the canopy sliding rail to non-ferrous screws and nuts.  That removed as much ferrous metal as I could find anywhere else in the plane.  My wiring in that area runs near the bottom longerons so it is pretty far from the EDC-10A.

My compass came right up and I've never calibrated it because it is always within a degree or two of perfect.  ;)

Rich Wilson
RV-8 N707RW

wv4i

I just mounted the EDC-10A inside the wing tip of my RV6, and made the mounting bracket. With that said, next time I would seriously consider one of these brackets from Avery:

http://www.averytools.com/pc-1012-124-remote-compass-mount.aspx

In my wing tip, I have a Whelen combo nav/strobe/tail, and a standard Duck Works LL near wing end, no interference problems. The EDC-10A wiring is NOT run thru the same lightening holes as the strobe/nav/LL wiring.

Also mounted OAT sensor under wing tip (connects thru EDC-10A), and finding that it is very accurate, within 1 degree of ATIS, etc..

N707RW

When I built the bracket I just put a bend in it which set the bottom plate of the bracket to the correct angle. Not much hi tech there, just bent it carefully to the angle I had computed out.

I've attached a photo of it. At this time it has 2 EDCs on it because another EFIS is in my panel. I just stacked the EDCs using brass hardware. It all seems to be working out fine. The extra weight of the second EDC hasn't seemed to be a problem. The bracket has been there for a couple of years now and doing just fine.

Anyway, that's how I did it.

Rich

Attachments

• P4214304.JPG
    P4214304.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 145