Lost communications with remote compass. In flight

DaveBoxall

Im flying off my test period in an RV-9A with a Dynon 100.  Everything is great, except...

On one flight my D-100 lost connection with the remote compass and OAT.  I acknowledged the errors & waited a while. Still no compass.  I restarted the D-100 & up came the compass.

I tightened up the screws on the D-sub connector on the back of the D-100 - and they moved a bit.  The problem hasn't recurred in the following 2 flights.

If the D-100 loses connection with the compass does it need a re-start to find it again (that's what my "loose connection theory" would suggest) otherwise it's either a strange coincidence or a bigger problem that the D-100 loses comms with the compass, but finds it again on re-start.

Dave

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: Lost communications with remote compass. In fl

It it doesn't recur we'd chalk it up to a fluke. But if it happens again, we'll want to troubleshoot it deeper.

gest3995

Just returned from a long cross country flight during which I got a similar error message on my D10A "lost communication with remote compass module" and "lost communication with temperature probe".

After about 2 hours both signals came back without booting the EFIS.

Yesterday I flew all day in some rough air without any problems.

I guess I'll have to wait for it to happen again and try to check if voltage present at remote compass.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Given that it went a away and came back on its own, first thing I'd do it look for an intermittent connection between the remote magnetometer and the EFIS.

DaveBoxall

Hi - I'm back.  We've been grounded for nearly a month with some engine issues. We're back flying again now and I've lost the compass another 2 times. Same deal, compass goes, but is detected again after a reboot.  

Any suggestions for troubleshooting it deeper?

Dave

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

If it's happening habitually, you'll want to work with technical support to get some more personalized troubleshooting going. They can be reached at support@dynonavionics.com or 425-402-0433.