Lost NAVSRC Problem - D180, G496, RV-12

BigJohn

I flew two long cross-country flights in the past two days. I must have had to hit the NAV button 20 times. It was not a life-threatening issue, just a major pain, especially knowing there is a solution for it. I realize most of Dynon's energy now goes into Skyview. But it is not my fault my RV-12 avionics went obsolete a few months after I bought it. SUPPORT SHOULD CONTINUE! I understand there is a fix out that works, but it is being withheld from RV-12 owners. Why? In my mind this is a tarnish on Dynon's formerly great reputation for customer support. Sorry to have to put it that way, but that's the way it looks. Is there ever any hope of getting this bug fixed?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I know we're not meeting your guys' expectations here, and I apologize. We're absolutely going to perform final testing and release the fix as an official release as soon as we can put resources on it (which will be after our 6.0 release makes it out the door). The RV-12 limitation adds a bit of complication which is frustrating to us too, because we want to get you guys fixed too. But because the RV-12 D180s has some customizations, any software that can be loaded on an RV-12 needs to be specially-prepared, and for a few reasons we can't do that on the test versions of software that we've posted to the forum. We're going to make it right though.

Michael Schofield
Marketing Manager
Dynon Avionics

BigJohn

Michael,

Thank you very much for chiming in so we know we are not forgotten, and have some kind of idea as to your plan. As I understand your post then, There will be general release of a new version of the software for the 180, Version 6, for everyone except RV-12's, and then a subsequent release of the software and the Van's lock file for the RV-12. Do I have that correct? Would you care to hazard a guess as to timing of the new release?

John

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Exactly. The process is - after we have the final shipping version of the next D180 firmware, we then need to do a bit of work with Vans to get the special settings files properly configured that allow the RV-12 units to be upgraded properly. The next version will probably remove some of the restrictions that have existed until now as well (some settings can't be changed on the D180 currently, but Vans is OK with relaxing some of those restrictions at this point) - I know that'll make a lot of you happy.

SkyView 6.0 should be out in June (hopefully the beginning of if all goes well). This is one of the highest priority mini projects to get done at this point, so we'll be looking at it pretty immediately thereafter. If I were to venture a guess, June-July timeframe. With the RV-12 version lagging by somewhere between small days to a couple weeks.

BigJohn

Michael and others,

You have given us what we asked for, some communication and an idea of what your plans are. Thank you for that, it relieves the frustration of not knowing what is going on. I hope the timing works out as you plan. As a matter of fact, I make the following offer: If I don't have to push the NAV button more than one time for each leg of my trip to OSH, I will buy any Dynon employee who cares to take me up on it a brat and beer! Even at OSH inflated prices!

BigJohn

Offer is still good, but........

Offer is still good, but........you've only got four weeks left! No pressure though ;)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Just a quick note that the final 5.5 software has been released, with the RV-12 support in the works. We're a little dependant on Vans' engineering bandwidth here, so I can't make promises on the lock file deployment. This update fixes the AP NAVSRC lost messages, a couple of other very minor AP annoyances, and Rotax oil temp fluctuations. See the release notes on the download page for the nitty gritty. There are no new features in this release. This release does not apply to D6/D60 (the firmware for those products is unchanged). You can grab the update at http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software.html (but again, RV-12 guys will need to wait for the update lock file to be released)