Lost NAVSRC worse after upgrade to 5.4

BigJohn

Any progress, Dynon? Do you still recommend trying the beta software? Configuration: D180/AP74/G496.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We know that it at least doesn't fix the issue for some people, but it doesn't hurt to try it.

BigJohn

I upgraded to the beta version, took a couple of 2 hour cross-country flights - no change. Still dropping out randomly. I hope you are still looking at this. It is an irritation. Can I be of any help?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
An update here - we're going to be taking another crack at a fix for this issue. I'm not quite sure when we'll have a version posted. It's at least a few weeks away, but there will be more to come.

blewis254

I love flying!
Hi, Just looking for an update to the Nav Src lost issue. Your post on 9/19 is now several weeks old so was hoping for some news. Been following this thread for awhile looking for a solution. I have a D180/AP74 Garmin 196 outputting NMEA at 4800. Getting constant Nav Src lost errors. I have a GPS test route setup for testing and will encounter 5 to 10 errors when in NAV mode. I have also logged the Garmin NMEA output on this course and it has been perfect. Output is every 2 seconds with complete data streams. One note though, even if the Garmin proprietary data is turned off, it does still output a couple of Garmin only sentences, just not all of them. Other than this issue, I really like the D180 but this is a big one.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're still working on it. Do you happen to have a lot of the 196 stored? And did you happen to record the log of that happening during the same flight(s) that you were getting nav source errors on? If so, can you email the log (if not huge) to support at dynonavionics dot com, with a link to this thread for reference?

Allan_B

I love flying!
Hi From Down Under
Plane one is a D100 with 2 servos and a Garmin 196 it does not drop out
Plane 2 is a D100 with I servo and a Garmin Area 500 drops out very 15-20 mins
Hope you can find out the problem soon

Cheers
Allan

blewis254

I love flying!
Alan,

Does your Garmin 196 have Garmin proprietary data turned on? I have mine off. I assume you have it set to NMEA IN/NMEA Out and a speed of 4800. How is your D100 configured for the data type and speed, i.e. Are they set to Auto?

Allan_B

I love flying!
RV9er

The 196 is set to NMEA IN/NMEA Out and a speed of 4800 I know this

I dont remember doing anything to the D100 I say it will be at factory default, I will check next time I'm at the airport

Cheers

Allan

JohnWF

RV-12 Dynon D-180, AP74, Garmin 396...lost nav, reset and it picked up right away. Repetitive problem...nuisance, but unexplained.

JohnWF

Flying again Nov 23rd...lost nav every three minutes or so in very still air....resets right away, but is a real problem.

JohnWF

Flew again in RV-12, Dynon D-180, Gamin 396, auto pilot nav worked fine...was 1/2 mile off course, upon activating, it turned to the course, turned again when on course, and tracked just fine...no drop outs ! Why? Last trial was a drop out every three minutes. Today just perfect !

ChiefPilot

I see this error on a regular basis as well - perhaps once every thirty minutes; sometimes more. EFIS-D10A, AP74, Pitch+Roll Servos, and EMS-D10 are all on the DSAB. GPS is a KLN-89B connected serially (of course).

Aside from the nav source lost issue, this combo works exceedingly well - the turn anticipation feature of the KLN89B effectively works just like GPSS. I just wish the nav source thing would get fixed so that functionality would be reliable.

JR

Another year goes by with no solution - pretty poor guys!

JR

1.5 hr flight yesterday, 23 dropouts

Can you please inform which GPS you recommend to enable NAV feature as promised
Notice I cant find compatible GPS document anymore

dstclair

Probably just stating the obvious but....

My AP and D100 were interfaced to a Garmin 496 for 3 years without issues. Last month, I upgraded to a Garmin 795 and the AP has continued to run flawlessly.

This implies that software in the D100, 496 and 795 are not at fault. Is it possible that noise in a specific installation causes random data loss somewhere across the serial bus?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
dstclair's post illustrates the issue well: It's hard to reproduce across the fleet reliably. We should have another crack at solving this ready very shortly. Because the problem seems to strike some and not others, with the same GPS, there isn't a list GPSes that are known to work perfectly.

DBRV10

1.5 hr flight yesterday, 23 dropouts

Can you please inform which GPS you recommend to enable NAV feature as promised
Notice I cant find compatible GPS document anymore

Simple, how about a GNS430W or any of the similar types that output an ARINC429 data stream. You will need a HS34 as well or for the skyview the ARINC module.

We have not had one drop out in 800 hours ;)

Have you ensured all cell phones are off? Just a thought.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We think we may have it this time (we've said that before, and we've been wrong), so we're crossing our fingers. Should have something to post in about a week if our first round of testing holds up.

blewis254

I love flying!
Can you elaborate on what you think the issue is related to? Grounding, interference, Software bug, etc. Just curious what path you are going down.
Thanks.