Lost NAVSRC worse after upgrade to 5.4

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It's a combination of imperfect GPS serial output, imperfect serial stream handling on our end, which is made worse by the fact that some of the developers that worked on the particular code have moved one, which is itself made worse by the fact that "back in the day", we operated more like the startup we were, which makes going back and fixing these sort of bugs especially hard.

blewis254

I love flying!
Thanks for that. Very straightforward. I will be anxiously awaiting your release. And if possible to explain in this forum, what are the issues with the GPS serial stream? I've logged and analyzed that and it seemed to be perfect.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
In fact, we now have our latest attempt at fixing this behavior available:

Besides the internal tweaks to the AP to try to fix this issue (and a couple other subdle AP fixes, detailed below), no other D10/D100 series features have been changed in this software, but because it is new software we always recommend caution:

The D10/D100 series stores all user settings internally (Airspeed colors, AP setup, etc.)  You should not see any differences after upgrade.  If you find after the upgrade that any of your settings have changed, please let us know right away. Additionally, in case we're wrong about that, as this is a "test" version of software, we ask that you make note of all your settings. More comprehensively, you should really perform the full firmware backup that the support program offers before it upgrades your product.

RV-12 owners: If you have an E-LSA D180 that was bought from Vans directly, your D180 has some OEM options customizations that inhibit upgrades like this test from working properly. You should not attempt to load these beta versions of software.

The new version can be found here.

Other subtle AP fixes in this software include:

1) After 5-10 min in altitude hold in smooth air, it will self-calibrate out any altitude offset error that the AP has exhibited for some people.  There will be a positive bump to your assigned altitude.

2) This version also addresses the tendency to climb when the ball is not centered.

Felix

I love flying!
Hello,

we’ve got the problem with our customers autopilot D100/AP74 and Garmin 695 data communication. In flight at the NAV (and TRK) mode the AP looses the data from the GPS very often. The -magenta NAV- changes into -yellow NAV- and the AP looses the control. But we dont get the "NAVSource lost" hint on the EFIS screen!
Here are the thinks we have done:

- Checked the harness
- Changed EFIS (it was for repair at your company)
- Changed the EMS
- Changed the servos (roll and pitch)
- Changed the AP74
- Updated the EFIS Firmware to 5.5 beta
- Updated the Garmin 695 to version 6.5
- Updated the EFIS Firmware to 5.5.RC1
- Changed the GPS

But no improvements, the same failure as before! :-/ Do you have any further instructions for us? Because we (and of course our customer) are very desperate right now.

Felix

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Felix - Since it sounds like you're an OEM manufacturer, we'll contact you via direct email to follow up. Also, it sounds like you're experiencing autopilot servo slips, and not the NAVSRC lost issue that this software is trying to fix.

rich1

I love flying!
Dynon,
I down loaded the new 5.5RC1 software for my D10A EFIS/AUTO PILOT.
I flew 2 flights, a total of 1.5 hrs.
          NO DROP OUTS!!!
Im using a Aera 500 with a GLD 39.
I would have 3-5 droup outs before the new soft ware.
I will post later after several more hours.
Rich

redmark

:( Dynon,

I applied this update to my D180, AP74 /w 2 servos in a RV-12. I was running the 5.5A0 update... now the bad news.

The update went well, I could see it updating all devices but once it was complete I lost ALL setting including the Tach & Hobbs.  It reverted to 2 gas tanks, 4 EGT & CHT probs.

I can get the setting back with a little work but the biggest problem is that I could not get the AP to see the servos. I re-configured the DSAB Network and the DSAB status can see the servos but on the AP setup it cannot see them.

I'll send a note to support.

-Ron

jakej

Just a little reminder to others, & I figure Ron has done this already, please do a backup of your system settings before updating anything ;)

Jake J

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Ron - If you have an E-LSA version of the RV-12 D180 that was bought from Vans, it shouldn't have allowed the update. If this is the type of unit you have, loading the settings that Vans provides on their site MAY get the factory settings back, but we haven't tested that progression here (those settings are technically from 5.4, and there's a risk that they don't work, but since you don't have any settings on your unit at the moment, it's not likely to make things worse)

redmark

I was running with 5.5A0 so I uploaded 5.5RC1 glad to see the notice above was update "« Last Edit: Today at 10:15am by Dynon Avionics »" to include a RV-12 section.

The install program was happy to accept Vans OEM unlock file and reported the update was successful but that was not correct.

I'm working with Mike in support and I also provided all the debugX.log(s) I could find from my update process.

-Ron
:-[

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So note that the procedure for using the Vans files - as documented on the Vans site - is to use the file once to allow the upgrade, and then to load the settings file by itself a second time to restore the settings. If you didn't do the second load, what you're experiencing is expected.

redmark

I did the second load per Vans document and the upload reported successful but I'm still stuck with default setting... This can be verified in the Dynon application debug/log file I sent to support "debug8.log"... I also included a picture.

I did notice some errors lines in the log file but I'm not sure if they are false positives of errors.

2013_02_24_10_13_28_544 Port #1: Got Error Code: "SPI!"

-Ron

BigJohn

Since I have been living with this behavior for two years, I am VERY glad to see some progress towards a solution. Since there is some question about the original D180's shipped by Van's as part of the avionics kit, I will hold off trying the fix for now. My question is this: How will we RV-12/D-180 customers be notified when a version/procedure is available for us to try?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Once we actually release the software update, we'll let Vans know that an update is available, and they'll have to release an updated settings file that will work with the new version to upgrade the RV-12 D180s

JR

Long time coming but I can say the updated software works well. 2 hrs flight on AP (both ALT and NAV) with no dropouts
Update went OK, all settings saved no problem
One problem with clocks though, needed Zulu and Local time reset which surprisingly took a while to work out.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Do you mean the offset got reset? Or that it reverted to the other? What did you need to change to get it back working again?

Foxflier

Do you mean the offset got reset? Or that it reverted to the other? What did you need to change to get it back working again?

I've only flown for an hour but mine seems fine with 5.5RC1.   :)   Will find out over this spring.  Zulu time had to be reset btw.  If I recall the offset was still ok.

rich1

I love flying!
Dynon,
I have almost 10hrs with 5.5RC1 software and not 1 dropout.
Using Garmin AERA 500 and GDL-39.
Good job Dynon,
Rich