Lost NAVSRC worse after upgrade to 5.4

JR

Do you mean the offset got reset? Or that it reverted to the other? What did you need to change to get it back working again?

Yes offset needed to be altered. Local seemed OK, ZULU changed.
I did find it difficult to find right place to change it, cant be done in Timer screen but through setup and option wasnt available in flight...???

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
John - Right now this is still test software, although we'll probably advance it soon. After that, we'll have to coordinate with Vans to enable its release onto RV-12 D180s (there's some behind-the-scenes technical stuff that has to happen).

PeterThomson

My experience is the NAV function works OK with Garmin III Pilot, sometimes with Garmin 296, and never with Garmin Aera 500. :-[

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Is that with 5.4, or the 5.5RC1 test software posted in the post above? http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1326367016/43#43.

If you haven't tried the above linked software, and you're not in an RV-12, please do and let us know if it solves you!

PeterThomson

was 5.4, will now upgrade the D180 to 5.5RC1, try with the three Gamin models and advise.

I fitted this in a Jabiru J170C, and all works well (except red cube FF). Hv SV42 on roll, SV32 on pitch due already had the 32, and thought the roll would do most work. The 32 needs some help in less than still air, but work fine in still air. Pitch fitting in Jabiru means two cable connections to elevator - these make fairly heavy work.

Bo_Hannington

Hi, I have just logged on to start searching for info about exactly this problem. Maybe my experience will add to the knowledge of the problem.
In my aircraft (RV6A) I have a Garmin GNC250XL panel mount, and an externel bracket on which I can mount the Garmin GPSMap 296 from my Foxbat aircraft, for backup on long flights.
I have had this Lost Nav Source problem intermittently now ever since I installed the Autopilot a few years ago. So I don't think it is related to the new software version. BUT, the problem only occurs when the souce is the GNC250XL, and NEVER when the souce is the GPSMap 296.
Whenever the Lost NavSrc message occurs, you can immediately press NAV again and it reconnects, every single time. It may drop out a few seconds later or 45 mins later, you can't tell.
I was thinking it might be interference getting in the wiring between the GPS and the Dynon, so I rewired with twisted shielded wire the easiest accessible parts, not 100%, but may be 75% of the wiring run between the units. Today I proved that hadn't made any difference. I am now wondering if it is my mobile phone which was in my pocket and switched on during todays flight.
Any comments?

jakej

Bo

The dropout issue is more complex IMO - many were/are having issues with the 296 too.

As for mobile (cell) phones & iPads, I have seen these cause problems too with autopilots, audio & marker beacon receiver. David (2 ic SAAA) can confirm these types of problems as well. ;)

PeterThomson

was 5.4, will now upgrade the D180 to 5.5RC1, try with the three Gamin models and advise.

Installing 5.5RC1 allows my Aera 500 to work (it did not before), and the III Pilot to work, but though the 296 will generate the TRK function, it will not produce the NAV function. It has in the past, on occasions briefly. I have used a couple of cables. So, an overall improvement.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Peter - on the 296, you definitely have an active flight plan or direct-to when you're testing? And is the HSI page on the Dynon is showing the GPS source with the magenta CDI?

PeterThomson

Yes, an active GOTO and a full screen of info on the Dynon CDI screen. I will double check the magenta in next day or two.

stevelindell

Seems like there would be a sales market for current D100 owners who would like the full features of the new Skyview AP. The AP76 could replace ones current AP74 and fit in the same panel space. The features gained are well worth the $1,500 cost of the new control head. The software work is already invested. How about it? Were there enough AP74's sold to justify the project? Sign me up, if you do it!

Foxflier

I'm cross posting here as I posted this in the sticky but sadly, the problem has not gone away. I'm flying a Garmin GPSMAP 696 with 6.5 firmware feeding a D100 EFIS.

I had the opportunity to fly 4 hrs yesterday on AP and I had 3 dropouts.  The big problem is that after two of the dropouts it took up to 15 mins before the GPS nav source became available again to re-sync.  The AP reverted to TRK mode and the GPS was clearly still providing info for TRK but the NAV mode selection went away for an extended period.  It used to drop out more often but NAV mode would reappear and could be reset relatively quickly (most of the time immediately).

I am so disappointed!  I love my AP...when it works...

Just to confirm this is with the 5.5RC1 firmware.

Why can't we get this fixed???

stevelindell

Just to add additional reports: I flew a 600 mile, near 7 hour trip yesterday with no drop outs. Garmin 696, AP74, HS34 and D100. 6.5 on the Garmin and 5.4.3 on the D100. Longest leg with the AP in command was at least 2 hours; total AP time was close to 6 hours. I have seen rare drop outs in the last 100 hours and those quickly restored. The system evidently can work well, but there must be an intolerant point in the work flow that's causing the issue for some. I'm in no rush to update the D100 software until there is more robust beta testing. I agree with all the posters that this issue needs to be resolved before the last D100 programer turns out the lights. How about putting someone on it full time or outsourcing the programing fix to the original person who wrote the AP code? I'm concerned the D100 stuff is orphaned and about to be abandoned.

jakej

Foxflier

I haven't used a 695/6 for a while but did you try changing the output to just NMEA & not NMEA/VHF out ? just a thought - that may work ;) worth a try ??

Jake J

Foxflier

Foxflier

I haven't used a 695/6 for a while but did you try changing the output to just NMEA & not  NMEA/VHF out ?  just a thought - that may work  ;) worth a try ??

Jake J

Hey Jake,

I use the VHF out to drive frequency select on my SL40 comm. I like that feature. I could change it for a while to see if it has an effect if Dynon thought it may play a role. I also drive my ELT-04 with the same data and it doesn't seem to care either.

Thanks,

Ted

BigJohn

Please Dynon, tell us RV-12 drivers what is going on. Why hasn't the fix been released to us? Who is dragging their feet, you guys or Van's? Its been a month since you told us we could expect to be able to try the fix "soon." Do you need a beta tester? If so I volunteer. At least give us an update on the situation.

jakej

Hey Jake,

I use the VHF out to drive frequency select on my SL40 comm.  I like that feature.  I could change it for a while to see if it has an effect if Dynon thought it may play a role.  I also drive my ELT-04 with the same data and it doesn't seem to care either.

Thanks,

Ted[/quote]

My suggestion was just to try the change, it may help Dynon knowing if that makes a difference  :) 

Jake J

Foxflier

I'm heading back up to Dallas again this coming Friday so I'll have the chance to see. It's an easy experiment.

Thanks,

Ted

N436JR

I love flying!
Flew 4 hours with the new firmware and no nav dropouts. Garmin 496 and Dynon D180

Jim