Low Speed Warning

bwok

I love flying!
Given a lot of experimental aircraft arent required to have a stall warning device & for the likes of myself upgrading to a skyview system I have opted to not install a new AOA probe.
It would be handy to have the option to just have a low speed selectable 'SPEED' callout for manual flying as you approach stall speed. At least Ihave not seen this feature as yet?
Would make a great safety addition!

airguy

Stall speed is based on the angle of attack on the wing, which is a function of both speed and load. A simple speed callout like you are requesting will not protect you from an accelerated stall.

You would best be served with a genuine AOA sensor.

gtae07

I love flying!
What kind of aircraft do you have? You may be able to add AOA functionality without having to install a new pitot probe. I know some RV-12 guys have added AOA sensing by using a hollow blind rivet on the underside of the wing and connecting that to the AOA port.

If your airframe would support that method, you could do it for a few hours of work and about $15 in parts. It would be far superior to a low speed warning.

bwok

I love flying!
When you refit a whole RV6 instrument panel the $$ add up. A new airspeed/AOA probe would be nice, but the time & effort of plumbing a finished aircraft isn't of interest until the current pitot tube fails.
Good idea gtae07 - i'll look into that.
I'm pretty sure most aircraft stall at a similar speed in normal flying conditions (level flight up to 30deg). Given that you fly an approach at a speed ie. Vstall*1.3,a "Speed" energy warning that visually and orally alerts at a speed or a trending speed towards Vstall*1.1 .
This speed awareness would be far better than what most experimental aircraft have - no stall protection. This simple optional function may have prevented several low speed accidents.
I know of some guys with AOA probes that haven't had the courage to go out and carry out stalls to calibrate the AOA just yet. This period of flying in the absence of AOA information would be of most benefit to someone in this situation.
The optimal solution no, but better then nothing.

gtae07

I love flying!
Here's the thread. One early poster used a ball inflator needle, but post 106 has pictures of a rivet.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34040&page=6

DONK

I love flying!
A couple of years ago (post now deletd) I suggested an option whereby Skyview would annunciate the airspeed on takeoff up to a user defined upper limit. Similarly, it would annunciate from a designated airspeed counting down for landing. MGL has this and it is great! When you're straight and level on final, airspeed is just as good as AOA. Ditto for takeoff. I still would like to see it. :mad:

Raymo

I love aviation!
airguy makes a valid point. Comparing airspeed enunciation with AOA is not a good comparison.

However, if you do not have an AOA indicator, I can see where hearing the airspeed could be helpful.

bwok

I love flying!
It already has a low airspeed function as part of the autopilot system.
All it would need is a function to piggy back off that to toggle the sound on/off aor Aspd low.

N941WR

It would be nice if Dynon would release a small pressure sensor that could be mounted out on the wing and just wires run back to the EFIS of choice. Wires are usually easier to run than installing a second pressure line.

Heck, then you could put the Pitot and AoA sensors in the wing and another in the tail for the static pressure. That would significantly reduce the number of tubes running around the airframe.

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
When you're straight and level on final, airspeed is just as good as AOA.  Ditto for takeoff.  I still would like to see it.   :mad: 

Really? So your empty weight is the same as your max gross weight?
I had a plane like that once... ;D