M14P 9 Cylinder Monitoring?

hawkeye

Hello,

I am building a Radial Rocket -- www.radialrocketman.com

Does anyone know if any of the Dynon EMS products are capable of monitoring/displaying a 9 cylinder engine?

Thank you!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We only support up to 6 cylinders at a time on EGT or CHT. To do 9, you'd have to switch out some of the cylinders or just not monitor them.

hawkeye

Thanks for the quick reply -- what do you mean by "switch out some of the cylinders"?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Use a switch to choose between cylinders 1-5 and 6-9. You'd need a big, rotary switch that can switch 10 wires at a time.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't have definitive confirmation that people have actually done it, but people have considered it in the past. Others have considered not monitoring all of the cylinders (which is obviously not optimal either).

hawkeye

Hi Ron777,

I haven't received any post from you here. Did you send via email?

Appreciate any information you have on this subject --

Hawkeye

Ron777

Hi Hawkeye,
I sent you a personal email aboout 10 days ago with some hints and suggestions re the 9 Cylinder monitoring & Switching etc. Did you recv it?
If not post a message on the BB and give me your email addy & I will reply again

Ron777

hawkeye

Thanks Ron,

Yes, I did not receive your email. Here is my address if you'd like to try again:

andy717@comcast.net

Thanks again,

Andy

ndpilot

We are also building an airplane (Murphy Moose) and using the M14P radial engine. We are very interested in the Dynon avionics and engine monitoring system. We are getting very close to installing this equipment and would like to also use the EMS. Did you get any more information regarding the use of a switch so that all cylinders can be monitored, at least part time? Do you have sensors available that will work on the M14P? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ron777

Dabear
I have a D180 mounted on an Australian Warbird fitted with a P & W R 985 Radial engine (9 cylinders). Up to now I have been monitoring cylinders (2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9,) which works fine but obviously does not give you the complete picture.

I am rewired my DYnon CHT/EGT Harness terminating all of the junctions in the engine bay area with gold pinned connectors and have a switching arrangement for cylinders 7-9,

I have used three 12 Pin Connectors arranged as follows:
1. Cylinder 1-3 CHT /EGT T/C thru Connector direct to DYNON
2. Cylinder 4-6 CHT/EGT T/C thru connector to Multi Pole Rotary SW to DYNON as 4-5-6
3. Cylinder 7-9CHT/EGT T/C thru Connector to Multi Pole Rotary SW to DYNON as 4-5-6

Background to Connectors:

I am using three hi quality connectors rather than “Faston Type” connectors for two reasons- Firstly whenever you create a join in T/C wire you create “in effect” another mini T/C unless you are using similar materials. If you’re wiring joins are inside the cockpit area the temperature variations as not large and the errors produced are small. If your connectors are in the engine bay area, tempt variations can be quiet large and variable depending upon location of joins, as will the tempt variation of CHT (25C). I have used the connectors to make all of the connections more “thermally stable” and the same Tempt as they are located together and I am routing some cooling air to minimize thermal variations. Additionally I can reverse 4-6 & 7-9 connectors and have a hard wire solution to monitoring on alternate flights if my SW arrangement fails

From my experimentation and test flying so far, the system works finie, however the following points should be noted.

It is important to keep joints and connections to a minimum and always use the same connection materials on both sides of all T/C joints as this will cancel out errors on either side of T/C Junction. Use the same Brand /Spec wire for any changes as this will also reduce errors.
Wire connection to rotary switches can be a problem as crimping not generally possible. Siver Soldering is the next option (not ideal) and very difficult with K type wire CH/AL.
Try to keep all connectors at the same tempt & materials common.

Try OMEGA in USA for rotary selector switches especially for this purpose.

I have used Westac EGT/CHT senders (ie 2.5" clamp-Ktype & 18MM Rings J type) and these work fine.

I hope this helps regards
Ron 777