Mag troubleshooting using EMS module

chohman

I am troubleshooting a Mag drop issue and making sure I understand the EMS chart and cylinder numbering.
When I perform a RT Mag check, I get a major drop (400+) in RPMs and EGT drops significantly.
I have a O470-R so the chart shows 6 CHTs and 6 EGTs. Based on the chart/pic from left to right, do these correspond to the Cylinder #? Or the firing Order?
I would think from left to right I would look at cylinders 1 through 6. So based on this RPM drop from 1700 to 1260, I suspect cylinders 2-4-6 not firing very well.
I have looked at a lot of the manuals but can't seem to find my answer. I hope it's based on the cylinder number.
I am about to check the Mag timing or issues with the Mag. Thoughts / suggestions??
Here is a pic.

1704601763719.png

skysailor

The installation instructions have you match the leads to the cylinder number. Pulling the cowl would provide a quick check as the leads are labeled as well.

chohman

Thanks. I'm heading to the airport this afternoon to troubleshoot my mag and will check out the leads/labels to verify.

GKC Aviation

On a Continental engine, cylinders 2,4 and 6 are on the left hand side (as viewed from the cockpit). 1,3 and 5 are on the right.
Left mag runs the upper plugs on the left cylinders, and the lower plugs on the right
Right mag runs upper plugs on the right and lower plugs on the left.
A mag problem should't just show up on three cylinders, there's more going on.

chohman

Thank you for the reply, I am familiar with the Continental and Lycoming engine cylinder numbering and which mag connects to what cylinder. The question was about the graph numbering and Dynon EMS wiring. Thanks to Skysailor I was able to confirm the the wires are labeled and connected to the correct cylinders. I found out my Left mag had an intermittent short and was a little out of timing. I corrected both and have solved my problem. Thanks for everyone's quick reply.

TRCsmith

I am troubleshooting a Mag drop issue and making sure I understand the EMS chart and cylinder numbering.
When I perform a RT Mag check, I get a major drop (400+) in RPMs and EGT drops significantly.
I have a O470-R so the chart shows 6 CHTs and 6 EGTs. Based on the chart/pic from left to right, do these correspond to the Cylinder #? Or the firing Order?
I would think from left to right I would look at cylinders 1 through 6. So based on this RPM drop from 1700 to 1260, I suspect cylinders 2-4-6 not firing very well.
I have looked at a lot of the manuals but can't seem to find my answer. I hope it's based on the cylinder number.
I am about to check the Mag timing or issues with the Mag. Thoughts / suggestions??
Here is a pic.

View attachment 5830
I'd be looking at spark plugs and leads.