Making Skyview IFR

George_Creamean

I love flying!
Searched forums for how to make Skyview system IFR.  No joy!  This is my first foray into the IFR world. I would like to make the Glastar GS-1 IFR capable for my initial training. Would someone direct my efforts in the right direction please?  Aircraft currently equipped with 10" touchscreen Skyview, 2 radios, ADSB, 2020GPS, Auotopilot, D10A, ARINC box, and ADHRS.  Would like to know what additional equipment is required and suggestions on what works best. Thanks. 

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So you have the fundamental equipment in place for a suitable IFR-capable panel. You have redundant displays and redundant sources of flight instrumentation (especially attitude). From here, you'll need a suitable IFR-capable navigator. These days, many people choose a GPS/NAV/COM such as the Avidyne IFD series. The other big brand will also work - we're certainly biased ;)

airguy

So you have the fundamental equipment in place for a suitable IFR-capable panel. You have redundant displays and redundant sources of flight instrumentation (especially attitude). From here, you'll need a suitable IFR-capable navigator. These days, many people choose a GPS/NAV/COM such as the Avidyne IFD series. The other big brand will also work - we're certainly biased ;)

To expand just a bit on that - the IFR-certified navigator is required to be able to export HSI/GS information to the ARINC module, which will display it on the Skyview screen and allow the autopilot to couple with approaches from the certified navigator.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Some might say you can install something like an SL-30 nav/com and be legal to file and fly IFR, which is true, but you'll find that ILS approaches at small airports are difficult to find. They'll remain for major airports as a backup to GPS approaches.

W

William_Ince

Some might say you can install something like an SL-30 nav/com and be legal to file and fly IFR, which is true, but you'll find that ILS approaches at small airports are difficult to find. They'll remain for major airports as a backup to GPS approaches.
For light GA, may just as well go with a certified GPS only navigator, like a Garmin GTN 625.
LPV, down to 200', vast array of GPS approaches and growing. What more do you really need?

Raymo

I love aviation!
For light GA, may just as well go with a certified GPS only navigator, like a Garmin GTN 625.
LPV, down to 200', vast array of GPS approaches and growing. What more do you really need?

There are parts of the United States where the military does regular testing that takes out the GPS signals. The GTN-650 will still get you on the ground with its NAV radio, though you may need to search for an ILS approach.

I suspect the FAA, in those types of areas, will be more likely to keep VOR/ILS capabilities around.