Map colors explanation - Dynon please provide documentation!

swatson999

OK, after a bunch of searching, and looking at what a few people have fiddled with and puzzled out, I made a few changes to my map colors, BUT...it sure would be nice if Dynon could provide some documentation on these fields. After all, it's only been a decade or so now that this has been out there.

So...Here is an example from the Config file:
Code:
airspace_class_b2={
        color0=004AB4FF
        color1=004AB47F
        color2=2681FFFF
        color3=FFFFFFFF
        width0=2
        width1=4
        width2=6
        cycle=0
        fraction=0
        outline=0
        style=MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_SOLID_FADE

Questions for Dynon:
What, precisely, do Colors0-Color3 do? It is believed that Color 0 is the "outer" color, Color1 is the "inner"color, and Color3 is the highlight when selected. Is this correct? And what about Color2? We do know that the last Hex pair is transparency.

Guessing that Width0-Width2 are related to Color0-Color2...width in what? Pixels?

What is cycle, fraction, and outline?

We know of the following styles, courtesy of a previous poster:

1. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_SOLID_TICKS = Solid boundary of color0 with ticks on the inside of color1
2. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_SOLID_FADE = Solid boundary of color0 with a faded inner boundary of color1
3. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_FILLED = ?
4. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_DASHED = Solid boundary of color0 with dashes overlaid of color1
5. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_SOLID_UNCLIPPED_TICKS = Train line style
6. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_FRAG_SHADER = ?

So what are Filled and Frag_Shader?

Is there any other information that we should know? Why isn't this documented in the Installation or User manual?

ETA: BTW, I'll give you oddball things like airspace_class_d2 (not just airspace_class_d? Maybe a coding change early on forced this, dunno), and warning2 and the like, but what the heck is unknown_alert2? And how is it different than alert?

Last edited:

swatson999

No. It simply restates what I have asked about "color2" and the styles, and doesn't address the additional question I asked about "unknown_alert2" airspace. Neither does it address width, cycle, fraction and outline.

Colour Code Structure
---------------------
Pairs of hexadecimal codes for Red, Green, Blue, & Transparency - from 00 = transparent to FF = solid)

Object Usage
------------
color0 = Outer colour
color1 = Inner colour
color2 = (Still to confirm where this is used)
color3 = This may be the background when the screen object is selected

Line styles used to draw the object
-----------------------------------
1. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_SOLID_TICKS = Solid boundary of color0 with ticks on the inside of color1
2. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_SOLID_FADE = Solid boundary of color0 with a faded inner boundary of color1
3. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_FILLED = ?
4. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_DASHED = Solid boundary of color0 with dashes overlaid of color1
5. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_SOLID_UNCLIPPED_TICKS = Train line style
6. MAP_BLING_DRAW_STYLE_FRAG_SHADER = ?

skyview_user

I love TopMeteo
I played a bit with the config file. Here is what I've written down some time ago.
Color2 is text color if there is text, cycle is frequency (or distance) of tick marks. fraction?? outline?? width0 is outline thickness, width1 is shadow thickness, width2 may be text thickness.
Generally there is no information about units.
With the config file delivered from Dynon Europe airspaces look strange. We have only two companies delivering airspace data, Jeppesen and PocketFMS. They need airspace class AND airspace type to correctly address colors and styles. But Dynon only has a mapping to the (partly) strange airspace definitions they use. They are completly resistant to change anything.
So my impression is Dynon does not want anyone to modify the config file. But in Europe it is simply necessary or you have to use additionally a tablet.
Would be nice if Dynon could throw some light on your questions and generally on airspace appearance.

swatson999

Did we ever get answers to the questions I posed? I was looking at a config file for other reasons, and realized...hey, self...I don't think Dynon ever told us the answers!