Map Features - Your Input Requested

akflyer

In addition to airports, nav aids and fixes, I would like to see provisions for entering user way points that can be used in navigation.
Jim W

RudiGreyling

1) Small vertical profile view at bottom of map of current course (Yes the terrain view gives some clue, but it does not show scale of drops or climbs ahead

2) Leader Line (Carrot) Where the aircraft will be in (user configurable time) at current speed. for instance 10 min. Helps with prediction of time to point on map if being queried on Radio, cuase you can translate position and speed quickly into Time to reach point by looking at reference to your carrot/leader line.

3) Custumizable Fixed Range Ring, that stays fixed around aircraft does no matter the screen zoom. Helps with quick position and distance check with other feathers on map. If for instance your range ring is 10 miles you can quickly at a glance see how many times your range ring to feature on map.

4) Fully functional User waypoints as Aeronatical type waypoints

5) HITS High in the sky

6) Easy Search of any item with pre-polutate suggestions as you refine your search further.

mmarien

Murray M.
Did this discussion help and were features added to the development list or did this just confirm you are on the right track?

If you did an analysis what was the most asked for feature?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
These comments and suggestions are very helpful; thank you everyone. More are welcome.

I am sure we will summarize your inputs in this thread, and report back.

johnsteichen

Yes yes flight plan data from 430w painted on the screen
The magenta line from the 430w screen painted on the sky view map
Is this even possible?

that in itself is worth the $500

vlittle

Here's my thoughts:

1) Replicate as much as possible the functionality and reliability of an X96 GPS or Aera.  That would allow the elimination of the Aera 500 and net $300 ($800-$500) towards the purchase of a second Skyview & battery in the panel.  The ultimate objective is a Garmin-free panel, although the SL30 is tough to eliminate.  

2) Provide a map emulator for a personal computer so that flight plans can be edited at home and carried to the SV on a USB Dongle.  A plug in to Google Earth would allow us to fly the plan at home at 100x real time!

3) If not already requested, allow 3D flight planning (or is it 4D?) so that a vertical profile can be input (works great with Google Earth emulation at home and the 2-axis autopilot in the air).

4) Allow personal notations on maps:  for example, "noise sensitive area"

5) Have a "Current Airspace" button that will display the floors/ceilings of the current airspace that you are in. Or, if you move the cursor, it would then display that airspace data. This does not mean selecting an airspace boundary-just a point in space.
Vern

dabear

A lot of great stuff above and I second the ability to plan at home and bring the flight plan to the airport via usb card.  I also would like:
1. the SV shows when I need to decend to make my flight plan arrival airport or a vertical fix
2. Glide ring is a must

Thanks

Bear
CJ6A

marchudson

How about a flight director?
Kind of like what you would see in this display
http://www.turbopilot.com/cirrusperspective/images/pfd.jpg

timfwalsh01

UPDATE - WingX Pro (version 5.0) just came out with in flight WX!!  They are using Skyradar as the ADS-B TIS Wifi provider.

If I remember from a previous post, Dynon was looking at NavWorx for the Wx provider for the Skyviews. Would be nice if it could be used for both (Ipad as well). Tim

Folks,

Since I am anxiously awaiting the release of 3.0 with the updated moving map software, I have been trying several IPAD related programs.  The Dynon Software should have a combination of these two programs.  

I just tried the WingX Pro7 (v 4.5), very impressive. I have been using Foreflight (FF) and have ben thrilled with it. The flight planning features from FF are awesome, much better than WingX. The capability to drag the flight planing course is superior. WingX does display the waypoints (next and final waypoint with relevant data (distance, bearing, speed, ....) while FF only has a couple of data fields. If FF could have their flight log updated real time - a huge improvement.

The moving map on FF using sectionals is very good. Appears the next update for WingX will incorporate this feature as well.

The Wx graphics are superior in FF.

I also subscribed to the Geo Approach plates from Seattle Avionics. What separates these two products is the capability to see your self on the airport taxi diagram, and the Approach Plates.

I did contact FF and asked about Geo references. They do not comment on potential future improvements. I am not in business world, but it would appear to me this is a poor business decision. Dynon has mastered the "we are working on the future," no promises on delivery time, but stay with this product, and we will improve!!

The winner will be the company that provides in flight WX for the IPAD using one of these products.

Of course, once the Skyview has the above features (Geo Synched Approach Plates, taxi diagram, inflight weather, and very flexible flight planning) you will be the industry leader!!

Hope this helps Tim

UPDATE!!  Foreflight just added Geo Synched taxi diagrams, and approach plates - very nice capability (yes, it costs extra)

Would be great to export the flight planning function from the Apple Ipad, and transfer to SV.  Still looking for in flight Wx!!

swaneymj

That is assuming FlightPrep doesn't put an end to all innovation in on-line flight planning with their patent infringement lawsuits.   :mad:

Taigajoe

One of the most important think is the option to import route files from other desktop applications.

Let me explain: It is much more convenient to plan a route at home than in the cockpit. Everybody uses different planning programs on laptop/pc with different file formats for the route. So it is not easy to import all these different route files formats into SV. One way would be that you create for SV an readable format for the routes i.e. a text file.

A simple example:

Geodatum: WGS84;

wpt1, lat1, lon1, altitude1
wpt2, lat2, lon2, altitude2
wpt3....

So is everybody able to convert the own route file (from the own planning application) into the SV route format. Important is the usage of user defined waypoints.

Other interest thinks would be:

- route file should also contain the planned altitude for using vertical servo
- loading route data from other devices  GPSx95/96 via USB and/or serial connection -> SV
- small vertical profile view  (toggle on-off)
- for me as a european customer please consider the european airspace
- being able to obtain info by scrolling a cursor over an item/airspace
- depicting  FIR borderlines, towns, roads,  railway lines and natural features
- kind of '' GLS '''A GPS instrument landing system like MGL
- dynamic level-off line/arc showing where on the map the aircraft will reach a commanded altitude (tied to the autopilot settings)
- for the D700 users---the ability to change the fontsize of the text on the map

Thanks for the possibility to send you our wish lists! SV is getting better and better...

Best regards

Taigajoe

perryc

Loading of frequencies from airport info on SV into SL30/SL40 radios ($PMRRC sentences - 396 and upward do this). Hooked a SV com port to the sl40's rs232 tx/rx today so sure hate to think I wasted my time.

Perry

dabear

I was told last week by Dynon Support that the SV does not pass freq information from my 496 to my SL30 at this time. Don't know if it is on the future list. I've not seen the SV do this my SL30 either.

Anyone seen it work?

mmarien

Murray M.
SV doesn't pass frequency info, but the GPS396 and up do. Just select a frequency on the GPS and press enter and it appears in the standby frequecy of the SL30/40. Frequecies are passed from the X96 to the iCOM 210 also but by a slightly different method.

One wire from GPSX96 TX -> SL30/40/iCOM 210 RX.

asaflyer

Would like to see runways depicted on the map page at airports at the 15 mile range and ILS courses where available at the 15 mile range as well.
Jim W

One feature I would like is auto zoom as you get closer to the airport. However, the GPS that I have now with auto zoom starts out with the whole course displayed and no detail. I keep mine on about a 10 to 20 mile range. Then when you get close it won't auto zoom.

Can you do an auto zoom that you can set the far range and as you get closer it will give more detail as you get closer.

Another request, I have trouble with taxiways at strange airports. Can you auto zoom all the way down and help me taxi?

Thanks, Larry

8181C

I'd like to add one that I don'tthink I have seen as of yet. I have seen another maping system that I own.. Don't want to mention names but I will give you their initials (AWM) ;) They have a feature when you are zoomed in close and approaching a controlled airspace, the airspace altitudes will move or appear in front of the aircraft symbol. This is so even if you are zoomed in a part of the map where the airspace limits are not referenced, they will appear infront of the AC symbol and not be missed. This is nice and use it often, especially when you enter an area where there are intersecting or overlaping airspace.. Just my two cents!