Map screen resolution

S20Raven

I love flying!
I use the Seattle Avionics software for sectionals, airport info, etc. on dual Skyview touchscreens.
I mentioned to my CFI during a recent BFR that I thought the map resolution kinda sucked. Especially compared to Foreflight on my IPad. He said that the reason it was that way was because it was letting us know we didn't have any ADS-B coverage. Well, I live and fly out here in the sticks so of course no coverage. My question, is there a way to take that tinge off of the map page and make the map look crisp and clear? He tried but didn't have any luck. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

swatson999

A screenshot of what you're seeing would help (buttons 2 and 7 on SV). I don't think map resolution has anything to do with ADS-B.

RV8JD

I don't use Seattle Avionics maps, but here is screenshot showing a map image without ADS-B. I don't see any difference with ADS-B coverage.

i-zsTRDNC-L.png

Last edited:

preid

you mention Seattle avionics charts than state the map resolution is bad. Are you referring to Seattle sectionals or other? iPad usually isn’t a MAP but rather charts and ADSB should have nothing to do with Map resolution, but the charts aren’t as crisp as the ipad.
I use iPad flyq for charts and skyview for MAP.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
ADS-B only impacts the weather layer. If you mean terrain - I'm wondering if you don't have a high-resolution terrain database installed for some reason.

But, if you're talking about the weather - note that the ADS-B weather is sent over the air in two versions. One is a coarse, or lower-resolution, national picture. There's also a higher resolution regional picture that might take some additional time to load, depending on your ADS-B coverage. In contrast, if you're looking at wx on a tablet app that is internet-connected (or on any computer for that matter), there are even higher-resolution sources available.

S20Raven

I love flying!
Thanks all for your input. I think I got it figured out.
Appears my question wasn't using quite the right terminology. I use the Seattle Avionics software for sectionals rather than the Dynon map on their US Aviation/Obstacle database (even though I do keep it updated). So I go to MAP>LAYERS>SEC and the Seattle Avionics sectional shows up on the screen. However as mentioned in the question it has a pinkish overall tinge to it (top photo). Not so good for my 65 year old eye. However Skysailor (above)inspired me to start pushing buttons. The one that says WX on the left half and something totally unintelligible on the right half (button seven) will remove the pink tinge from the sectional (bottom photo). It also takes away the ADS-B Status box.
So now I have two more questions!

1- what does the right half of button 7 symbolize?

2- If I have it pushed does that mean my ADS-B won't work, like if I somehow flew high enough or actually got close to a ground station somewhere?

Thanks!
screenshot-N23SL-SN21957-15.4.7.5568-20110101-004628-542-en_US.png
screenshot-N23SL-SN21957-15.4.7.5568-20110101-004700-889-en_US.png

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So pressing it turns the weather layer on/off. The purple tint in the screen represents areas for which you don't currently have NEXRAD (this easier to interpret when you're more zoomed out.

Pressing and holding the button turns weather animation of the last period of time on and off

swatson999

Thanks all for your input. I think I got it figured out.
Appears my question wasn't using quite the right terminology. I use the Seattle Avionics software for sectionals rather than the Dynon map on their US Aviation/Obstacle database (even though I do keep it updated). So I go to MAP>LAYERS>SEC and the Seattle Avionics sectional shows up on the screen. However as mentioned in the question it has a pinkish overall tinge to it (top photo). Not so good for my 65 year old eye. However Skysailor (above)inspired me to start pushing buttons. The one that says WX on the left half and something totally unintelligible on the right half (button seven) will remove the pink tinge from the sectional (bottom photo). It also takes away the ADS-B Status box.
So now I have two more questions!

1- what does the right half of button 7 symbolize?

2- If I have it pushed does that mean my ADS-B won't work, like if I somehow flew high enough or actually got close to a ground station somewhere?

Thanks!View attachment 3916View attachment 3917

Have you downloaded and read the User's Manual? All of this information is in there, and you really should read the manual instead of just randomly pushing buttons to see what happens.

swatson999

Actually, note to Dynon...it looks like, at least for the Skyview Classic Touch manual, there isn't a description of the time-lapse function (and the screenshots don't show the newer button symbol for activating/deactivating timelapse).