MAP Sensor connection

• Thread starter Ray Doerr(Guest)
  • Start date
R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

I bought Van's firewall forward package for my RV-10 for the Lycoming IO-540. If this kit is an -4 AN bulkhead that has as -4 flare on forward side of the firewall and a very small hose barb on the cockpit side. The issue is this is way to small to connect to the MAP Sensor provided with the EMS. Any idea's on how best to connect the two?

Thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ray,

You can connect a short length of appropriate tubing to your existing hose barb (cockpit side) and then get an appropriate converter that will change the tubing over to the 1/4" tubing required by the MAP sensor. From our installation guide:

"The pressure port on the manifold pressure sensor requires
1/4” inner diameter tubing for a secure fit. You may need to
use adapters to convert down to smaller inner diameter tubing for your specific engine. It is
recommended that you use pipe clamps at every transition point, including at the sensor itself."

fabjab

Does the Manifold pressure sensor have to be mounted on the panel side of the firewall or can it be mounted on the engine side of the firewall?

For some manufacturers panel side is specified.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The MAP sensor we use is also found in auto installations, and apparently auto engine bays are not fun places to spend time. One of our engineers claims that "...car engine bays are really harsh environments; I'd much rather be an aircraft engine than a car engine". In other words, you'll be OK with the MAP sensor on the engine side of the firewall.

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

Does the MAP Sensor 1/4" connection matter if it is connected directly to an AN firewall fitting? In other words, does the MAP line need any restrictor to work properly or can it be connected to the engine any way possible as long as it doesn't leak air?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ray,
It depends what engine you are hooking to, but we have found with most Lycomings that a restrictor is a good idea. Lycoming put their MAP port right by one of the valves, which means the pressure there varies wildly. We report actual pressure many times a second, but this means that the value often swings a lot.

Two methods seem to work well. One is to use a restrictor with a very small hole in it, at least a few feet away from the MAP sensor. This dampens the fluctuations. Another way to do the restriction is with some foam, as is described in this post:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1138881119/1#1

GCDXT

I had MAP fluctuations on my EMS D10 when using the standard Vans firewall forward MAP connections on my TMX 0-320 installation. I inserted two 'roll your own' cicarette filters in the flexible pipe immediatly downstream of the AN connector in the #3 cylinder and this has cured the problem.

I hope this helps.
Tom

paul_romine

When you say pipe clamps, do you mean small hose clamps? It says the same thing in the instalation manual. Hose clamps?
Thanks,
Paul
Ray,

You can connect a short length of appropriate tubing to your existing hose barb (cockpit side) and then get an appropriate converter that will change the tubing over to the 1/4" tubing required by the MAP sensor.  From our installation guide:

"The pressure port on the manifold pressure sensor requires
1/4” inner diameter tubing for a secure fit. You may need to
use adapters to convert down to smaller inner diameter tubing for your specific engine. It is
recommended that you use pipe clamps at every transition point, including at the sensor itself."

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We mean something to keep the connections tight, so small band clamps will work fine, or anything else that works for you.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Nope. We'd have to sample the MAP sensor thousands of times per second to damp this out. The pulses occur very fast so they are hard to deal with in software.

sglynn55

I Love Flying
Hi, please clarify and bring up to date. Do I install the Van's IE VMP Manifold Install Kit to use with Dynon Skyview?

I'm working on firewall and engine now, IO-360 and CS Prop. Van's kit includes IE VMP install kit. The firewall pass thru fitting is an AN924-4D on cabin side. It is a VA-170 restrictor adapter. There is no sender in this kit.

Should I install this Van's adapter on engine and firewall? Will there be a sender from Dynon that connects to it and sends signals to Skyview?

thanks