Map source vs Hsi source

mem235

New avionics, new pilot: can someone help explain which choice is correct, having ext gps source for map FP and SKYVIEW source for HSI or have both the same? My instinct is to have both source the same but without reason.

Rhino

FP? What other GPS source do you have? IFR aircraft?

Rhino

By the way, the HSI gets nav information from what you input to Skyview, so there need be no other source. Are you referring to a different HSI that's external to Skyview?

mem235

FP for flight plan. A garmin GPS 175 is installed for IFR gps. Also a gnc255. I am not IFR certified yet and am trying to figure the Garmin gps/hdx relationship out. If I have gps 175 as flight plan map source I assume the HSI /CDI source should also be GPS175. Is there ever a reason to have flight plan map and hsi source different?

additionally, new issue, with gps175 available and selected as flight plan map source I don’t see the flight plan on hdx moving map and I am not getting the flight plan sequence text (list). Tested in hangar. I assume this is idiot operator error but I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong hoping to get correcting advice

so far, hdx works nice not complicated 5887BB95-2CF1-41D3-B971-D51CD6943DC4.jpeg

Carl_Froehlich

I’m running a GTN-650 and fly mostly IFR. What I do:
- Punch the flight plan into the GTN-650.
- Select the GTN-650 as the flight plan source
- Select the HSI to be driving from the GTN-650 (either GPS or NAV)

Carl

mem235

Carl, are you able to see gtn650 listed waypoint sequence on hdx flight plan screen. Do you need to load or activate on gtn before being able to see sequence on hdx?

Carl_Froehlich

The flight plan on the GTN-650 shows up on the SkyView (the nice magenta line). If you load an approach, that approach shows up from whatever point you select as you IAF, along with the full missed approach. For ILS the approach and missed approach shows up as well - you can either set up for auto shift from GPS to ILS driving the HSI, or do it manually. This is covered in the SkyView user guide.

This integration is first class. The only issue is understanding the button smashing on the clunky GTN-650 as it is not as intuitive as the SkyView.

Carl

JP JR

I have a GNC355 as my IFR GPS and my experience is just like Carls description. You just need to change the GPS source on the Dynon screen.. you can Even load the same flight plan waypoints in both the Garmin FP and the Skyview FP and have a quick backup. You change the source by touching the Dynon screen where the box in your picture says Skyview in pink with some distance information below it.you can quickly check your flight plans on the flight plan page and look at both available GPS flight plans

Spert

As Carl indicated, your first step should be to read the entire user guide to make sure you understand what is happening and how to best set it up for your personal preferences. On the flight plan page, you should see a tab for each device capable of supplying a flight plan. The external ones will show what has been loaded, but you cannot manipulate them on the SkyView system.

My opinion is that the HSI and FP source should always be the same. I’m sure there is a scenario where it makes sense to separate them, but I have not seen one yet. You could really put yourself in a difficult situation flying IFR if you make corrections based on an HSI deviation bar that is based on something other than your current FP. This would also limit your ability to see ILS and RNAV needles since the SkyView FP does not allow approaches to be loaded.

mem235

Ok got it, at this point i need to look at installation. Ive thoroughly read hdx operating manual and i will look at garmin again. But i am already doing those things perscribed above. I am getting garmin as flight plan source tab ootion but not getting flight plan on moving map or on flight plan screen. I will update post once i isolate the cause

Spert

Ok got it, at this point i need to look at installation. Ive thoroughly read hdx operating manual and i will look at garmin again. But i am already doing those things perscribed above. I am getting garmin as flight plan source tab ootion but not getting flight plan on moving map or on flight plan screen. I will update post once i isolate the cause
When you select the Garmin tab on the SkyView FP page you should see whatever flight plan is activated on the GPS175. If you are getting that far, select the Navigate button to make that the FP source. You still need to have an active leg on the flight plan before it will show up on the map. I’m not familiar with the 175, but on my 430W unit activating the flight plan takes care of this. I forget all the time on the SkyView and have to go back and activate the desired leg.

mem235

Very interesting. I did attemp to activate on garmin to remedy but not navigate on skyview i will try this this afternoon. I am pretty clumsy with garmin so i need to try all over to diminish operator error.
Thank you to all.

JP JR

When you select the Garmin tab on the SkyView FP page you should see whatever flight plan is activated on the GPS175. If you are getting that far, select the Navigate button to make that the FP source. You still need to have an active leg on the flight plan before it will show up on the map. I’m not familiar with the 175, but on my 430W unit activating the flight plan takes care of this. I forget all the time on the SkyView and have to go back and activate the desired leg.
Yes and even if there’s no active FP on the Garmin it should still be available on the Fligh plan table but it’s empty without a active FP

mem235

Ok i tried again and things are working better, bur still no magenta /white flight plan line on skyview moving map. Also the leg shown active on garmin is not shown active on skyview. It is interesting to note that user waypoints on skyview are truncated from what shown on garmin, Photo attached. Also, this is all being done in hangar with no gps signal. Not sure if any these notes are causal. When the same flight plan is uploaded direct skyview (no garmin) the magenta track does show on map.
It will be a few days before i can get back to hangar but this is one time that am looking forward to being tokd what im doing wrong

Attachments

• F6771B9E-D37F-40C5-BE09-63D8B16F4C21.jpeg
    F6771B9E-D37F-40C5-BE09-63D8B16F4C21.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 67

JP JR

Try to activate a leg it might show up then, oh you said you have it active.. but it should show the active leg in the Dynon FP so it might be because your not actually getting GPS signal in your hanger

Carl_Froehlich

I suggest you do not have the serial wired correctly, or you have not configured the serial on the 175.

Carl

mem235

Update, the arnc429 module was wired incorrect install shop never checked their work, they said they were given wrong wiring diagram. Lots of other problems. Dont pay until you verify everything, take a week if you have to. These guys are “installers”, apparently whether things work after install is not their problem.