Max and Mim autopilot airspeed

tommyturner

In the new autopilot tuning procedures they reference using the autopilot max and min airspeed numbers when doing the calibration. How do I determine what these are for an RV-14A.

Rhino

The min and max airspeeds in the Skyview are set as a percentage of the speeds on that web page. The install manual tells how to calculate them. For instance, the minimum airspeed is set to 30% above VS1.

tommyturner

Thanks for the help with the speeds. I have a problem setting the Yaw Damper " RUDDER GAIN " default value. The In flight tuning guide says to set it for 0.25 but the field on the display will only accept tenths. ( only one digit to the right of the decimal ). What is the correct default value?

Thanks

Rhino

What software version are you running, and what autopilot tuning guide version are you using? In system software version 16.4, the default is .25, and it should be set to that automatically without your input required. Version D of the tuning guide recommends you do not change it because it affects the gyro gain. Previous versions of software used version C of the tuning guide, and it had no reference to rudder gain, so presumably previous software versions either did not have it, or did not allow you to adjust it (I can't physically confirm that right now). I'm guessing you're using the wrong tuning guide for your software version, or there's a mistake in the newest tuning guide that was just released. Maybe someone else can verify by looking at their system.

tommyturner

I am using the latest tuning guide rev D 9/8/22 and software 16.4. Mine was set to 2.5.

Reactions: JTD

Rhino

If you can't get it to .25, or unless someone else chimes in with more insight, I would contact support.

Rhino

So, did you tell them the tuning guide says something else?

GKC Aviation

The inflight setup screen only takes up half the screen, as opposed to when you are on the ground where it takes the whole screen.
You will still see the PFD with airspeed, altitude, etc, on the left hand side of the screen, and the setup window on the right.

PAN-Denmark

The inflight setup screen only takes up half the screen, as opposed to when you are on the ground where it takes the whole screen.
You will still see the PFD with airspeed, altitude, etc, on the left hand side of the screen, and the setup window on the right.
Thanks so much for this. It was not clear in the guide - I will try to record a video of the in-flight tuning of the A/P and share it here.