mismatch -> Skyview database expiration vs actual SkyView database release

SZPflyer

The first thing I did last Wednesday morning (August 12, 2020) was to visit Dynon's software updates page to download the new August 2020 SkyView Classic/Touch/SE 15.4.7 Software Package, since I had a Flight Review with a CFI scheduled for 11am. However, the latest available database online at the time was dated July 16, so there was nothing new to download.

When the time came to fly a few hours later, both the CFI and I were surprised when the SkyView in my aircraft promptly warned that the database was out of date! I did not appreciate the loss of credibility in trying to explain that the new database wasn't available when I checked earlier that morning. "Oh, that? Ah...the dog ate the update."

Late that day the August update did become available for download, but too late for my Flight Review.

If, instead of a Flight Review, I had been scheduled for a check ride with the wrong FAA examiner/designee, the flight could have been cancelled--on my dime--for lack of a current database.

FEATURE REQUEST

* Release new databases at 12:01am on each date of scheduled update,
and
* Synchronize the internal clock in SkyView to match the actual time of scheduled database releases.

I'm not expecting much, given the 14+ months it has taken so far for the next SkyView Software Update. Probably my best hope is to avoid scheduling my next FR on August 10, 2022.

preid

Dynon releases the updates before the due date. I actually downloaded the newer version last week and just updated the database without issue Today.
are you sure you grabbed the bottom version and not the “current” version? When you did download upcoming version?
honestly never had an issue with having the upcoming versions days ahead.

swatson999

I've never had a problem with the Dynon databases being available well in advance of their date of applicability, nearly always available a week prior, including this past update. So asking for them to be released at midnight on the day they become active is actually asking for *worse* availability than what they currently provide.

I believe there is a problem with the screen showing a current database as being out of date on the first day due to a leap-year problem IIRC, which I expect will be easily corrected in the next release.

And in any case, you could always simply buy a paper chart and use that, while accepting an *actual* out-of-date database as simply supplemental material, rather than for "official" flight planning services, should an examiner ask. That would, of course, require planning ahead instead of waiting until the morning of the exam to make sure you have all of the proper paperwork, databases, charts, etc., in the plane. Just sayin'.

WmInce

Dynon releases the updates before the due date. I actually downloaded the newer version last week and just updated the database without issue Today.
are you sure you grabbed the bottom version and not the “current” version? When you did download upcoming version?
honestly never had an issue with having the upcoming versions days ahead.
x2

WmInce

. . . . . you could always simply buy a paper chart and use that, while accepting an *actual* out-of-date database as simply supplemental material, rather than for "official" flight planning services, should an examiner ask. That would, of course, require planning ahead instead of waiting until the morning of the exam to make sure you have all of the proper paperwork, databases, charts, etc., in the plane.
Right on point.
That's exactly what an examiner would think.
Boils down to using good judgement.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
We run into a lot of people who go to the SkyView software update page and grab the entire software / database update package every month to do updates on the aviation and obstacle data. The SkyView software update file sometimes lags behind on the updates.
If you will always go to the database update page, it is kept current and the upcoming updates are often on there a week ahead of the due date.
Here is the link to that page: https://dynonavionics.com/us-aviation-obstacle-data.php

SZPflyer

Thank you for the correct link to the data! When I purchased the aircraft, the previous owner of the aircraft gave me the link for the monthly software and database update; I should have known better. Thanks to you I'll inform him of the proper link, since he's installing another Dynon system in his soon-to-be completed Zenith. Having Foreflight updated before flying keeps me legal with the FAA and enables escape from the tyranny of chart subscriptions.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the intent here is that T-1week before the data is live, we release it to the database downloads page as the "upcoming data" file (which sits below the live data), so that you can have the data ahead of time.

Then, the day it becomes the current data, we simultaneously make the upcoming the live, and also update the software update packages, which are kept "up to date" as a convenience.

I don't think we had a lapse or any issues having the right data up on time (or beforehand, either), so I'm not quite sure why you weren't seeing the latest. Maybe a hard browser refresh? <ctrl-r>