N16 usage with Skyview

d3mac123

Hi,

I have a MGL N16 radio connected to my HDX11 via Advanced Control Module. However, never used it, nor paid attention till yesterday, when I was doing a transponder check and asked the technician to check the nav radio. Here what we found:
- Antenna works fine, as well as the radio and the head - we could change frequencies from the head;
- See picture of the serial connection with Skyview (is the settings looking fine to you?);
- We can see the N16 setup in the HDX (see picture of N16 being the secondary source);
- However, setting the N16 as first source during tests we were not able to see the HSI neither able to set frequencies/anything in the radio from the Dynon display.

I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong because I have seen other users with similar setup being able to control the N16 directly from the Skyview. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5091.jpg
    IMG_5091.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5093.jpg
    IMG_5093.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That second screenshot - where you're only seeing group errors, implies that there isn't communication between SkyView and the radio. Likely a wiring issue or the N16's serial port isn't talking the same format as SkyView is expecting.

d3mac123

I double-checked the wiring and it is looking good. Then I focused on the Dynon setup and changed from SL30 to GNC225 and GTR225 - In these setups, I see the Dynon TX counter numbers going up but the Vega is not receiving anything. However, nothing coming from the RX counter.

I am pretty confident the issue is with the Serial in Device template. Checking the MGL Vega manual, it says:
Note: SL30 and GNC225 options can be used with only a N16 connected (this is my case)
Unfortunately, the SL30 option is not working at all and there is NO GNC225 option in Dynon's list.

Any ideas on how to address this issue?

d3mac123

No, I haven't. Just followed MGL's manual. I will try tomorrow but the rates are preset when you select a device template and the rates are not accessible.