NAV/GPS and TRK mode problems

ITegrity

Hi,

I have just started flying a SportCruiser with Dynon EFIS D100 and autopilot. The ALT and HDG modes of the autopilot seem to work as expected as does the NAV mode when NAV SRC is a VOR.

However, I can't engage TRK mode at all.

In addition, when I create a GPS route and select NAV mode with a NAV SRC of GPS the behaviour of the autopliot appears very strange. The autopilot happily intercepts and flies a radial to the next waypoint, but the radial (displayed as the purple OBS in the HSI) is arbitrary and bears no relation to the programmed GPS track or the bearing to the waypoint. It seems that the OBS simply remains set to whatever it was set to before.

So for example, if I create a Go To waypoint which is on a bearing of 090, select GPS as the NAV SRC, arm the NAV mode and activate the autopilot the plane turns away from the programmed heading to intercept a radial of the waypoint which is, say, 110, simply because that is what the purple OBS was last set to.

I would have expected the OBS to be locked to the GPS ground track so that the aircraft will always intercept and then track towards the waypoint on the programmed ground track, but this seems to be ignored.

It is possible to get it to track properly by manually aligning the purple OBS with the yellow diamond (which appears to be the bearing to the waypoint) at each and every waypoint, but this defeats the object of having a GPS-aware autopilot.

The GPS is a Garmin 495 and the NMEA integration appears to be working because the bearing to the waypoint information appears in the HSI and various other functions such as ground speed and winds-aloft are working correctly.

Is this a user error?

Oz Wurstlin

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Is your OBS always N when you're set to GPS? If so, go into the Advanced NMEA setup (highlight your NMEA selection on the x96, then press menu to pull up that option), then make sure output rate is set to normal, not fast. Have a feeling this is your issue.

ITegrity

Thanks,

That worked - I hadn't appreciated that the Garmin 495 had this "hidden" menu and quite so many parameters for the NMEA protocol.

Oz