Naviagtion Data Source (GPS, NAV) Switching

dragonflyhkg

From the Dynon website regarding the GPS unit,

"GPS Receiver:  The SV-GPS-250 connects to the system backup battery for greater reliability.  Other NMEA compatible GPS receivers may also be connected to the SkyView system and used in lieu of or redundant to the SV-GPS-250."

My intention would be to feed my IFR Certified GPS (Garmin GNC 300XL with switching annunciator unit) to the Skyview for use as the data source on the PFD and the MAP.

Will the GPS data be "source selectable" via the interface whilst the system is operating or does "used in lieu of or redundant to" mean a hardwiring change?

How will the primary navigation data source (GPS, NAV, etc) be selected?

Regards, Mark

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The SkyView screens have 5 serial ports on the back. They can be used for a variety of purposes, and are fully configurable in software. In your case, you'd just run a single serial wire from the 300XL to one of the serial inputs, and then go into the menu and tell the system which port you had connected to. It will now use that for position.

The GPS-250 will not be required if you have another GPS, but if you want to wire in multiple GPS units for redundancy, that's allowed too. The system will auto-switch if one is not communicating.

In terms of switching which GPS is used for HSI data, there will be a Nav Source button on the screen just like current products that allows you to switch data sources in flight.

airguy

Will the GPS 250 be WAAS capable? I understand it's not valid for IFR use, just wondering.

I'm probably 12-15 months from building my panel - any chance you'll have a nav/comm radio unit to plug into the Skyview by then? ;)

If it's not obvious by now - I'm just looking for a decent reason to tell Garmin to go take a flying leap... :cool:

dragonflyhkg

Further to the initial question,

I presently have the GPS (GNC 300XL) and NAV (SL30) switching to the HSI CDI undertaken by a dedicated Annunciator/Control Unit, (Mid-Continent MD41-1444).

The primary data source annunciation and control status is constantly in central view. This configuration may be required by some airworthiness authorities for some installations, as is the case with my aircraft.

In addition to the SkyView onboard data-source select page mentioned in the earlier reply, will external source annunciation and control be available?

Regards, Mark

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The full compliment of annunciations / controls will not be an initial feature, but these are the sorts of things that we'll aim to build into the product over time as demand requires. That's not a promise, and this sort of feature is on the long tail of less requested features (meaning fewer customers will request them than other things, like weather for example) that will compete for resources down the road.