Necessary Conditions to get ILS Glide Slope indicator to appear

cbretana

What are the requirements to get the glide slope indicator to appear for an ILS approach?
I have HDX with Skyview v16.0.4, and VAL Nav2000, and tried one yesterday, and I definitely captured the Localizer, but the GS bar never appeared.
Do you have to be within upper and lower limits of the Glide Slope for theGS bar to appear?

Last edited:

Tim Fitz

Not sure but above 9 degrees you may get a false indication. If you are reciveing a signal you should get an indication which may be a full scale deflection. I have the same set up (except old/classic Dynon Skyview) and I get the localizer signal first then the GS when I get on final. If you are within 10 miles of the runway you should be getting the GS. Maybe the glideslope portion of the antenna is not working correctly. My luck the GS was out of service.

GalinHdz

Have you ever gotten a glideslope indication on your display? You have to rule out a compatibility or configuration issues before doing more troubleshooting.

WmInce

What are the requirements to get the glide slope indicator to appear for an ILS approach?
I have HDX with Skyview v16.0.4, and VAL Nav2000, and tried one yesterday, and I definitely captured the Localizer, but the GS bar never appeared.
Do you have to be within upper and lower limits of the Glide Slope for theGS bar to appear?
Were there any NOTAMS on Glideslope OTS?

RVDan

I love flying!
The bar won’t appear until you are inside of the max deflection. You may also need to capture from below as typical in all ILS approaches. If you flew the approach by the plate and didn’t see the bar something is wrong.

swatson999

The bar won’t appear until you are inside of the max deflection. You may also need to capture from below as typical in all ILS approaches. If you flew the approach by the plate and didn’t see the bar something is wrong.
This seems like something that perhaps should be changed. On an analog OBS/GS or HSI, the bar is pegged offscale high or low when at or beyond max deflection, so you at least know it's *there*. Not having *any* GS indication at all could be a bit disconcerting, waiting for it to suddenly appear...

Just a thought...

cbretana

Were there any NOTAMS on Glideslope OTS?
No... but I think I figured it out. At this particular airport, the VOR is located on the side of the Runway, 109.0, and the ILS is 109.9. I had VOR and ILS both dialed in the VAL2000. I had also set the ILS final approach course in the CDI course window. So, I think what may have happened is that I had VOR in primary, and when CDI came off the peg, and then centered, and I looked up and saw the ILS freq in the backup nav radio freq window, I assumed everything was set up properly. I needed to swap the primary and backup NAV radio frequencies. The VOR CDI indications being so consistent with what the LOC signal should have produced confused me.

cbretana

This seems like something that perhaps should be changed. On an analog OBS/GS or HSI, the bar is pegged offscale high or low when at or beyond max deflection, so you at least know it's *there*. Not having *any* GS indication at all could be a bit disconcerting, waiting for it to suddenly appear...

Just a thought...
I agree. The behavior as designed makes it ambiguous as to whether you have properly set up the avionics, or you just haven't flown into the basket yet. Somehow, that distinction shtould be obvious to the pilot! This would also have cleared up my confusion when I still had the VOR frequency in the NAV radio.

RVDan

I love flying!
My original post needs some clarification. The glideslope scale doesn’t appear unless you are tuned to a localizer with glideslope and a glideslope signal is detected. Once tuned to a valid localizer with glideslope, the scale appears, but the green line deviation indicator does not appear until you are in scale. I think the reason for this is to eliminate displaying false glideslope info from the side lobes of the transmitter. I know of other displays on larger airplanes that work this way.

Douglas

I too have had some of these very same concerns about the glideslope indicator and the time it takes to display on the efis… I agree some additional indication that the glideslope is active and working while waiting for the scale to appear would be very helpful. Im not sure if its just by chance but it seems that the glideslope appears earlier on an RNAV approach than the ILS.
Its a bit unnerving waiting for it to appear when the conditions are near mins and those seconds before it shows up feel like days…

WmInce

Perhaps a better way to display the GS when properly tuned, would be to depict the GS in amber (armed mode) until a valid signal is received, then the indicator would changed to its normal color (captured mode). That way, at least, you would know the receiver is looking for the GS signal.
Just a thought.